Topics

What's in a name?

"John D. Hays" <john@...>
 

Have you ever thought about product names? It's kind of important.  A good name will identify a product in such a way that the observer is quick to understand the purpose of the product.

We have been thinking about the changes in the UDR56k-4 since it's first introduction.  At the time we had identified that the radio would be limited to a top data rate of 56 kbits.  This was in part due to the limitations of the modem/RF chip in our original design.  We have since changed our architecture into an I/Q Software Defined Modem (SDM) and will be delivering a modem that will likely exceed 100 kbits.

Steve, WA7PTM, contacted us and suggested we consider renaming the UDR56k-4 to reflect those changes and indicated we had a great resource --> the UniversalDigitalRadio Yahoo! Group.   We thought this was a great idea, thanks Steve.

We had been thinking about a model name change, but we thought Steve's suggestion was a great opportunity.

So, if you have a suggestion of what we should use for the name/model of the radio, here's your chance to change the destiny of all mankind :)

Please post your ideas.

Some guidelines:
  • We think it makes sense to keep UDR in the model number / name.
  • It should not infringe on any other trademark.
  • A Google search should not currently bring up an exact or very similar match
  • Keep it  short-ish.
  • Keep non-english meaning of the word(s) in mind (e.g. it shouldn't mean 'stinky eel' in Tongan)
  • Consider how it might relate to a family of products (e.g. a different band)

We will review your suggestions, and others developed in house. If there are several particularly good suggestions, we will create a survey where you can vote for your favorite.  

We reserve the right to use any or none of the suggestions.  

All suggestions become donated property of NW Digital Radio, without compensation. We will acknowledge the person or persons who came up with the chosen name.



John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  

Mark L Friedlander <marklfriedlander@...>
 

UDR100 is already taken. Besides, why limit the speed in the name? As time progresses, faster models may become available. How about the HSUDR-1 for High Speed Universal Digital Radio version 1?


Mark KV4I



On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
 

Have you ever thought about product names? It's kind of important.  A good name will identify a product in such a way that the observer is quick to understand the purpose of the product.

We have been thinking about the changes in the UDR56k-4 since it's first introduction.  At the time we had identified that the radio would be limited to a top data rate of 56 kbits.  This was in part due to the limitations of the modem/RF chip in our original design.  We have since changed our architecture into an I/Q Software Defined Modem (SDM) and will be delivering a modem that will likely exceed 100 kbits.

Steve, WA7PTM, contacted us and suggested we consider renaming the UDR56k-4 to reflect those changes and indicated we had a great resource --> the UniversalDigitalRadio Yahoo! Group.   We thought this was a great idea, thanks Steve.

We had been thinking about a model name change, but we thought Steve's suggestion was a great opportunity.

So, if you have a suggestion of what we should use for the name/model of the radio, here's your chance to change the destiny of all mankind :)

Please post your ideas.

Some guidelines:
  • We think it makes sense to keep UDR in the model number / name.
  • It should not infringe on any other trademark.
  • A Google search should not currently bring up an exact or very similar match
  • Keep it  short-ish.
  • Keep non-english meaning of the word(s) in mind (e.g. it shouldn't mean 'stinky eel' in Tongan)
  • Consider how it might relate to a family of products (e.g. a different band)

We will review your suggestions, and others developed in house. If there are several particularly good suggestions, we will create a survey where you can vote for your favorite.  

We reserve the right to use any or none of the suggestions.  

All suggestions become donated property of NW Digital Radio, without compensation. We will acknowledge the person or persons who came up with the chosen name.



John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  


Steve <yahoo-udr@...>
 

Incorporate the band, not the speed, into the model name.

On the current product, this might be:
UDR4 (70cm, 420-450MHz band)

Future products (we hope you folks will come up with) could be:
UDR2 (125cm, 222-225MHz band)
UDR9 (33cm, 902-928MHz band)

And FWIW: An Internet search will typically bring up a similar name no matter what you call it.

Marshall Denny <MarshallDenny@...>
 

That is exciting news.
Using I/Q Software Defined Modem (SDM) could yield a very flexible platform.
The possibility to add FM and SSB voice down the road would add to the potential of this platform.

Even something simple like adding CW to the radio would be nice.


It would be great to add SSB level sensitivity to an ultra robust mode like Olivia on UHF would be fun.


 

--
Respectfully,
W. Marshall Denny II
Software Development Engineer
206 734 9242 cell

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer
 is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Rick Edwards <threepalms@...>
 

Hmmm...

How about something like:
"UDRIICL"

Meaning "Universal Digital Radio Information Infrastructure Communications Link".

Or...."UDR too cool" in slang. :)

K6TVI - Rick

On 11/20/2013 8:43 AM, John D. Hays wrote:
 
Have you ever thought about product names? It's kind of important.  A good name will identify a product in such a way that the observer is quick to understand the purpose of the product.

We have been thinking about the changes in the UDR56k-4 since it's first introduction.  At the time we had identified that the radio would be limited to a top data rate of 56 kbits.  This was in part due to the limitations of the modem/RF chip in our original design.  We have since changed our architecture into an I/Q Software Defined Modem (SDM) and will be delivering a modem that will likely exceed 100 kbits.

Steve, WA7PTM, contacted us and suggested we consider renaming the UDR56k-4 to reflect those changes and indicated we had a great resource --> the UniversalDigitalRadio Yahoo! Group.   We thought this was a great idea, thanks Steve.

We had been thinking about a model name change, but we thought Steve's suggestion was a great opportunity.

So, if you have a suggestion of what we should use for the name/model of the radio, here's your chance to change the destiny of all mankind :)

Please post your ideas.

Some guidelines:
  • We think it makes sense to keep UDR in the model number / name.
  • It should not infringe on any other trademark.
  • A Google search should not currently bring up an exact or very similar match
  • Keep it  short-ish.
  • Keep non-english meaning of the word(s) in mind (e.g. it shouldn't mean 'stinky eel' in Tongan)
  • Consider how it might relate to a family of products (e.g. a different band)

We will review your suggestions, and others developed in house. If there are several particularly good suggestions, we will create a survey where you can vote for your favorite.  

We reserve the right to use any or none of the suggestions.  

All suggestions become donated property of NW Digital Radio, without compensation. We will acknowledge the person or persons who came up with the chosen name.



John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  

John Habbinga <kc5zrq@...>
 

I'll suggest UDR0NE.

  • We think it makes sense to keep UDR in the model number / name.
UDR0NE
  • It should not infringe on any other trademark.
It shouldn't.
  • A Google search should not currently bring up an exact or very similar match
It should be easy to optimize this for a Google search.  Currently returns are pretty mundane and have inconsistent results.
  • Keep it  short-ish.
Check!
  • Keep non-english meaning of the word(s) in mind (e.g. it shouldn't mean 'stinky eel' in Tongan)
Hmm.  You can read the word drone in the name.  That's kind of a buzz word.
  • Consider how it might relate to a family of products (e.g. a different band)
UDR for Universal Digital Radio. 0NE means one, 1 or first.  I included the zero because udrone is already registered and having the "0" in place of "o" alludes to the digital nature of the product.  I registered udr0ne.com and you can have it if you choose the name.

John Habbinga, Lubbock, Texas
http://about.me/john_habbinga 

Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...>
 



Using I/Q Software Defined Modem (SDM) could yield a very flexible platform.
The possibility to add FM and SSB voice down the road would add to the potential of this platform.

Even something simple like adding CW to the radio would be nice.
It would be great to add SSB level sensitivity to an ultra robust mode like Olivia on UHF would be fun.


If I/Q is available over the network - won't that let us use any of the existing HPSDR software out of the box with the UDRax?  (Amateur eXperiemntal)

Bill, WA7NWP


Nate Bargmann <n0nb@...>
 

* On 2013 20 Nov 12:57 -0600, John Habbinga wrote:
I'll suggest UDR0NE.
That works until someone transposes it as URD0NE!

73, de Nate >>

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."

Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us

"qrv@..." <qrv@...>
 

I like UDigRadio2 ... a retro name? ;-)

* On 2013 20 Nov 12:57 -0600, John Habbinga wrote:
I'll suggest UDR0NE.
That works until someone transposes it as URD0NE!

73, de Nate
--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

Search with: duckduckgo.com

Android for Hams: groups.yahoo.com/group/hamdroid
Creative Tech: groups.yahoo.com/group/ham-macguyver
Raspi Alternative: groups.yahoo.com/group/beagleboneblack/

Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22

John Habbinga <kc5zrq@...>
 

>That works until someone transposes it as URD0NE!

That is funny! (I just registered that one too)

jimbo <jimbo10987@...>
 

"RAD1"

Radio All Digital 1

de K9GOD


On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM, qrv@... <qrv@...> wrote:
 

I like UDigRadio2 ... a retro name? ;-)



> * On 2013 20 Nov 12:57 -0600, John Habbinga wrote:
>> I'll suggest UDR0NE.
>
> That works until someone transposes it as URD0NE!
>
> 73, de Nate

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

Search with: duckduckgo.com

Android for Hams: groups.yahoo.com/group/hamdroid
Creative Tech: groups.yahoo.com/group/ham-macguyver
Raspi Alternative: groups.yahoo.com/group/beagleboneblack/

Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22


bhhoyer@...
 

I'm not sure what to do when GOD gives you a name 



---In universaldigitalradio@..., <jimbo10987@...> wrote:

"RAD1"

Radio All Digital 1

de K9GOD


On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM, qrv@... <qrv@...> wrote:
 

I like UDigRadio2 ... a retro name? ;-)



> * On 2013 20 Nov 12:57 -0600, John Habbinga wrote:
>> I'll suggest UDR0NE.
>
> That works until someone transposes it as URD0NE!
>
> 73, de Nate

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

Search with: duckduckgo.com

Android for Hams: groups.yahoo.com/group/hamdroid
Creative Tech: groups.yahoo.com/group/ham-macguyver
Raspi Alternative: groups.yahoo.com/group/beagleboneblack/

Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22

bhhoyer@...
 

So how do you say Stinky Eel in Tongan?


Check out Coca Cola in Chinese

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_blunder 



---In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., <john@...> wrote:

Have you ever thought about product names? It's kind of important.  A good name will identify a product in such a way that the observer is quick to understand the purpose of the product.

We have been thinking about the changes in the UDR56k-4 since it's first introduction.  At the time we had identified that the radio would be limited to a top data rate of 56 kbits.  This was in part due to the limitations of the modem/RF chip in our original design.  We have since changed our architecture into an I/Q Software Defined Modem (SDM) and will be delivering a modem that will likely exceed 100 kbits.

Steve, WA7PTM, contacted us and suggested we consider renaming the UDR56k-4 to reflect those changes and indicated we had a great resource --> the UniversalDigitalRadio Yahoo! Group.   We thought this was a great idea, thanks Steve.

We had been thinking about a model name change, but we thought Steve's suggestion was a great opportunity.

So, if you have a suggestion of what we should use for the name/model of the radio, here's your chance to change the destiny of all mankind :)

Please post your ideas.

Some guidelines:
  • We think it makes sense to keep UDR in the model number / name.
  • It should not infringe on any other trademark.
  • A Google search should not currently bring up an exact or very similar match
  • Keep it  short-ish.
  • Keep non-english meaning of the word(s) in mind (e.g. it shouldn't mean 'stinky eel' in Tongan)
  • Consider how it might relate to a family of products (e.g. a different band)

We will review your suggestions, and others developed in house. If there are several particularly good suggestions, we will create a survey where you can vote for your favorite.  

We reserve the right to use any or none of the suggestions.  

All suggestions become donated property of NW Digital Radio, without compensation. We will acknowledge the person or persons who came up with the chosen name.



John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  

Mickey Baker <fishflorida@...>
 

I'm not sure what to do when GOD gives you a name 

Choose to accept it on faith or suspect that the vanity call system is at work.... 

On Thursday, November 21, 2013, wrote:
 

I'm not sure what to do when GOD gives you a name 



---In universaldigitalradio@..., <jimbo10987@...> wrote:

"RAD1"

Radio All Digital 1

de K9GOD


On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM, qrv@... <qrv@...> wrote:
 

I like UDigRadio2 ... a retro name? ;-)



> * On 2013 20 Nov 12:57 -0600, John Habbinga wrote:
>> I'll suggest UDR0NE.
>
> That works until someone transposes it as URD0NE!
>
> 73, de Nate

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

Search with: duckduckgo.com

Android for Hams: groups.yahoo.com/group/hamdroid
Creative Tech: groups.yahoo.com/group/ham-macguyver
Raspi Alternative: groups.yahoo.com/group/beagleboneblack/

Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22



--
Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.

Steve <yahoo-udr@...>
 

Tongan language translation is not available at http://translate.google.com

Using the handy English-Tongan dictionary on http://www.freelang.net/online/tongan.php?lg=gb ...
Neither "stinky" nor "eel" are in the dictionary
A "moray eel" is a "toke"
"UDR" is also not in the dictionary

How many pre-orders are there from locations where they speak the national language of Tonga?

---------- Original Message ----------
[ Sent by bhhoyer@... at 11/21/2013 07:58 AM ]

So how do you say Stinky Eel in Tongan?


---In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., <john@...> wrote:

Keep non-english meaning of the word(s) in mind (e.g. it shouldn't mean 'stinky eel' in Tongan)

kg7hq@...
 

Maybe something to the effect of "Lithe Radio ". Lithe being flexible and graceful. I was thinking a simple and not yet used name to this peice of technical art.


Michael - KG7HQ



---In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., <yahoo-udr@...> wrote:

Tongan language translation is not available at
http://translate.google.com

Using the handy English-Tongan dictionary on
http://www.freelang.net/online/tongan.php?lg=gb ...
Neither "stinky" nor "eel" are in the dictionary
A "moray eel" is a "toke"
"UDR" is also not in the dictionary

How many pre-orders are there from locations where they speak the
national language of Tonga?


---------- Original Message ----------
[ Sent by bhhoyer@... at 11/21/2013 07:58 AM ]
>
> So how do you say Stinky Eel in Tongan?
>
>
> ---In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., <john@...> wrote:
>
> Keep non-english meaning of the word(s) in mind (e.g. it shouldn't mean 'stinky eel' in Tongan)
>

Brian D Heaton <ky9k-lists@...>
 

Something simple like UDR1-band (UDR1-2, UDR1-4, UDR1-9, UDR1-12, etc) would both give room for future versions of the base UDR platform, as well as, define the supported band if a decision is made at some future date to support additional bands via different RF boards.

I'm concerned that "0" vs "o" tricks would just result in confusion down the line as folks try to type in a URL they've copied down and aren't sure which one they should use. 

73-KY9K/Brian


On 11/22/2013 10:08 AM, Steve wrote:
 

Tongan language translation is not available at
http://translate.google.com

Using the handy English-Tongan dictionary on
http://www.freelang.net/online/tongan.php?lg=gb ...
Neither "stinky" nor "eel" are in the dictionary
A "moray eel" is a "toke"
"UDR" is also not in the dictionary

How many pre-orders are there from locations where they speak the
national language of Tonga?

---------- Original Message ----------
[ Sent by bhhoyer@... at 11/21/2013 07:58 AM ]
>
> So how do you say Stinky Eel in Tongan?
>
>
> ---In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., wrote:
>
> Keep non-english meaning of the word(s) in mind (e.g. it shouldn't mean 'stinky eel' in Tongan)
>


Dean Gibson AE7Q <yahoo@...>
 


On 2013-11-23 06:15, Brian D Heaton wrote:

I'm concerned that "0" vs "o" tricks would just result in confusion down the line as folks try to type in a URL they've copied down and aren't sure which one they should use. 

73-KY9K/Brian

You mean, like the people that use a slashed "oh" in representing a desired callsign in an FCC application, only to find that the FCC rejects the callsign?

A slashed "oh" (a Latin letter) in place of a zero also plays havoc with blind amateurs who use screen reader applications, but we don't care about them, do we?

See http://www.ae7q.net/text/Zero.php

"qrv@..." <qrv@...>
 

Stinky eel sounds like a fun name for a mobile whip
antenna ... or maybe an end-fed antenna in a deed-restricted
community? Tell them you're paying homage to an animal so
they should leave you alone ... ;-)

Tongan language translation is not available at
http://translate.google.com

Using the handy English-Tongan dictionary on
http://www.freelang.net/online/tongan.php?lg=gb ... Neither
"stinky" nor "eel" are in the dictionary A "moray eel" is a "toke"
"UDR" is also not in the dictionary

How many pre-orders are there from locations where they speak the
national language of Tonga?

---------- Original Message ---------- [ Sent by bhhoyer@...
at 11/21/2013 07:58 AM ]

So how do you say Stinky Eel in Tongan?


---In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., <john@...>
wrote:

Keep non-english meaning of the word(s) in mind (e.g. it
shouldn't
mean 'stinky eel' in Tongan)
--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

Search with: duckduckgo.com

Android for Hams: groups.yahoo.com/group/hamdroid
Creative Tech: groups.yahoo.com/group/ham-macguyver
Raspi Alternative: groups.yahoo.com/group/beagleboneblack/

Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22

Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...>
 

Tom Hanks had a movie called "that thing you do" about a band named the oneders.

The band thought it was Wonders but the crowd called them the oh-nay-ders

On Nov 23, 2013, at 9:46 AM, Dean Gibson AE7Q <yahoo@...> wrote:


On 2013-11-23 06:15, Brian D Heaton wrote:

I'm concerned that "0" vs "o" tricks would just result in confusion down the line as folks try to type in a URL they've copied down and aren't sure which one they should use.  

73-KY9K/Brian

You mean, like the people that use a slashed "oh" in representing a desired callsign in an FCC application, only to find that the FCC rejects the callsign?

A slashed "oh" (a Latin letter) in place of a zero also plays havoc with blind amateurs who use screen reader applications, but we don't care about them, do we?

See http://www.ae7q.net/text/Zero.php