Topics

WinDV Issue gateway list differs

Andrew OBrien

I have WinDV on one PC and when using the "quick tunes" configuration, I get a LONG list of reflectors and gateway repeaters including  my nearby RF Dstar repeater.   This is useful for connecting to my local Dstar repeater via my ThumbDV.   For various reasons I want to use a a different PC.  I installed WinDV on it (same version as on other PC) but when I go to configure quick tunes I am not presented with the same lengthy list of repeaters to add to quick tunes.  I have tried all sorts of things but can't get the desired repeater even though i can with same software on different PC.  I have the call sign server st for Free*star 
Andy K3UK 

J G Shaw

Andy:

I wonder if the hosts files on each PC are identical? Or, perhaps the second PC hosts files do not have the contents you need since they probably came from the installation zip file.

The WinDV hosts files are located in:
C:\. . . .  Window_(C:) > Programs (x86) > MicroWalt Corporation > WinDV

NOTE: The WinDV hosts files are in a “protected” directory

Jim WA6PX

From: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io [mailto:main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of k3ukandy@...
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:22 PM
To: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: [nw-digital-radio] WinDV Issue gateway list differs

I have WinDV on one PC and when using the "quick tunes" configuration, I get a LONG list of reflectors and gateway repeaters including  my nearby RF Dstar repeater.   This is useful for connecting to my local Dstar repeater via my ThumbDV.   For various reasons I want to use a a different PC.  I installed WinDV on it (same version as on other PC) but when I go to configure quick tunes I am not presented with the same lengthy list of repeaters to add to quick tunes.  I have tried all sorts of things but can't get the desired repeater even though i can with same software on different PC.  I have the call sign server st for Free*star 
Andy K3UK 

Jim Moen <jim@...>

Yes, The hosts files installed with WinDV are quite out of date. Check https://www.k6jm.com/hs-setupwindv.htm in Reflector List section toward the bottom of the page for a way to install up to date hosts files.

The above recommends host files with just reflectors, but the same website ar-dns.net also has files that include gateways.

Many have switched to BlueDV, but WinDV still works when configured right. I still recommend taking a look at BlueDV....

Jim - K6JM

On May 22, 2018 8:19:17 PM CDT, J G Shaw <WA6PX@...> wrote:

Andy:

I wonder if the hosts files on each PC are identical? Or, perhaps the second PC hosts files do not have the contents you need since they probably came from the installation zip file.

The WinDV hosts files are located in:
C:\. . . .  Window_(C:) > Programs (x86) > MicroWalt Corporation > WinDV

NOTE: The WinDV hosts files are in a “protected” directory

Jim WA6PX

From: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io [mailto:main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of k3ukandy@...
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:22 PM
To: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: [nw-digital-radio] WinDV Issue gateway list differs

Andy K3UK 

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.