Topics

Winlink vs. D-STAR

"jim.santee" <jsantee@...>

I have noticed on the order map that a vast majority of the orders are for D-STAR. What few users we have in our area (Astoria, Oregon) are mainly Winlink. Are those who are ordering D-STAR have a user base or they are being ordered with the idea of developing a user base? This is a "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" I am very interested in D-STAR but I can't outrun my user base. Comments?

Jim
KF7NE

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>

Hi Jim,

There's a lot of overlap in those numbers as very few orders indicated D-STAR only. APRS and Winlink are well represented.

60% of orders classified themselves as Experimenters, meaning they're going to buy it then figure out what they want to do with it. 5% of orders clicked EVERY application.

For the server applications; RMS, IGate and ircDDB the UDR will be single purpose if it's up 24/7. In your shack or vehicle you might choose to run UDR Tracker then switch to winlink to check your mail and later use the DV board for voice.

Bryan - K7UDR

PE1RDW <pe1rdw@...>

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 19:08:45 +0200, k7udr <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,

There's a lot of overlap in those numbers as very few orders indicated D-STAR only. APRS and Winlink are well represented.

60% of orders classified themselves as Experimenters, meaning they're going to buy it then figure out what they want to do with it. 5% of orders clicked EVERY application.

For the server applications; RMS, IGate and ircDDB the UDR will be single purpose if it's up 24/7. In your shack or vehicle you might choose to run UDR Tracker then switch to winlink to check your mail and later use the DV board for voice.

Bryan - K7UDR
Will LinBPQ be suported as wel? or is winlink run trough BPQ?
--
73 Andre PE1RDW

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>

Will LinBPQ be suported as wel? or is winlink run trough BPQ?
--
73 Andre PE1RDW
Neither, we use the linux AX.25 stack and add
RMS GW: for the gateway
Paclink UNIX: for the client

Bryan K7UDR

PE1RDW <pe1rdw@...>

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 21:27:20 +0200, k7udr <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

Will LinBPQ be suported as wel? or is winlink run trough BPQ?
--
73 Andre PE1RDW
Neither, we use the linux AX.25 stack and add
RMS GW: for the gateway
Paclink UNIX: for the client

Bryan K7UDR
ok, thanks, can we compile our own software?
because if that is the case we can put LinBPQ on it ourselfs

--
73 Andre PE1RDW

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

I'd like to generalize this question and answer.

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM, PE1RDW <pe1rdw@...wrote:

Will LinBPQ be suported as wel? or is winlink run trough BPQ?
--
73 Andre PE1RDW

Will "My Favorite Application" (MFA) be supported?

This is a more nuanced question than it appears.  The UDR56K-4 is an open platform, which means there will be applications and accessories that may come from NW Digital Radio (the manufacturer) or from 3rd parties (individuals, projects, and companies).

When asked if something is 'supported' there are different answers depending on the way it is implemented and delivered:
  1. The UDR56K-4, applications, and accessories as built by NW Digital Radio are supported by NW Digital Radio through a warranty, software updates and patches, and technical support.  NW Digital Radio will select certain applications for support based on market need and demand. (e.g. if 1000 customers want an application, it is more likely to be supported than one that has two or three interested customers.)
  2. There is software that can be installed based on the Linux distribution used (Debian).  This is usually a binary package with available source and is installed by a package manager (e.g. apt-get, synaptic, etc.)  These packages are 'supported' by their authors.  Their configuration and integration is left to the integrator, usually the owner of the UDR56K-4, with forums like this one where a community can provide experience and support.  An example of this is gpsd.
  3. Software or accessories that are generally available but may need to be adapted to work with the UDR56K-4.  An example may be a program that needs ported to the UDR56K-4 before it can be used. These are up to the individual to port themselves or find like minded members of the community to assist. Since the UDR56K-4 is an open platform, the sources of NW Digital Radio software will be available for review to aid the developer.  Support is solely on those who do the port or adaptation.
If one has a program to port before their radio is delivered, generally a Sheeva Plug or Raspberry Pi (with soft floating point Debian) is a good test platform.  If you can compile and run the code on these devices they will likely be a simple port to the UDR56K-4.

If you are writing for the UDR56K-4 remember it does not have a display, so your programs are better served if they are command line / daemon programs.  If you need a display and are writing from scratch, we encourage the use of Web based interfaces.  If you want maximum interactivity and low overhead using the web look at node.js and socket.io for delivering your UI. Since this is a Debian system it is possible to use xrdp, vnc, or the X-Window system to remote GUI programs, but running GUI, even over the wire, adds overhead.

We look to have many programs ported and supported on the UDR56K-4 and this forum is a great place to share ideas, collaborate, announce, and support those applications.

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM, PE1RDW <pe1rdw@...> wrote:

Will LinBPQ be suported as wel? or is winlink run trough BPQ?
--
73 Andre PE1RDW

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

Yes  -- see my earlier post.