Topics

XC-3006 First Look

David [kg5eiu]

Just received a XC-3006 USB Dongle.  I plan on using it for a
Multi Protocol Gateway Reflector Server.

More Photos in my gallery.

Ken Jamrogowicz

FWIW - I have compiled the XLX software and have my new XC-3006 running with ambed. With two ThumbDV's and the XC plugged in, it says I have 8 channels available.  If you leave the console window open where you started ambed, you can see it processing any streams that come into the xlx reflector.

Of course, if you close the console window, then there is nothing to look at - although the program keeps running in the background.

Ken

N9UMJ

David

I also receive my XC3006. I would also like to create a multi platform gateway.
But I'm a newbie at reflectors and gateways and having trouble finding a step by step how to or even a start here to do this?

I'm not looking for an XLR for dummies , Just a step chart for setup and what the XC 3006 will.do.

I'm a little disappointed that NW Digital isn't more supportive with documentation than they are?

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018, 10:32 PM David [kg5eiu] via Groups.Io <dcappello=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just received a XC-3006 USB Dongle.  I plan on using it for a
Multi Protocol Gateway Reflector Server.

More Photos in my gallery.

Let me be very clear.

NW Digital Radio built and distributed the hardware (boards) for the XLX group, on the understanding that all software support for ambed and the XLX reflector system would come from the XLX group.

NW Digital Radio fully supports it's products to the extent that they are NW Digital Radio's design and construction. The XC-3006/USB-3006 was not designed by NW Digital Radio, it was designed by  Jean-Luc Deltombe  (LX3JL) who is one of the principals behind the XLX system.  NW Digital Radio assisted by using their manufacturing capability to make the boards available to the community, as a one time build. (It is not a regular product of NW Digital Radio)

NW Digital Radio warrants the boards for 90 days for any manufacturing defects.  The boards that have shipped have all been run through the ambedtest and passed.

Information on where to get software support is stated here:  http://nwdigitalradio.com/xc-3006-full-build/

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 10:11 AM, N9UMJ <n9umj2@...> wrote:

I'm a little disappointed that NW Digital isn't more supportive with documentation than they are?

Director

N9UMJ

John

Thank You for that claification..It would have been nice to have seen that before I stuck my foot in my mouth.

I'm still very interested in pursuing the project, but having trouble finding information directly related to the XC-3006 and what it is completely capable of doing.

I've already been to the sites you posted and have been going over the information,  but have several questions about the board but not found much discussion or files related to the device.

I rarely post for help unless I have trouble finding the information, I'm looking for, Suppose I was expecting to find a forum just for the XC-3006 discussion.

We are in the process of building a statewide multi mode digital linked repeater network with 9 high profile sites already running on digital 7  on Analog covering 2/3 of our state with plans of covering all over to digital/Analog and 3 new sites being constructed in the next few months with my company providing tower sites.and WiFi to the sites and this is one of many components the build.

This was my first purchase from NWdigital and had past purchasing experience with the company or its products.
I will.say that there are several other products that we are considering from Nw digital for this project and others and have gotten very good references on your products.
 Doug Gooden knew about our projects refered me to you for the XC-3006 to make sure I got in before the production deadline.

That's why I was under the assumption that it was a NW Digital product and project.

Thank You again for your reply and claification.

Rick Nicholson  n9umj

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018, 1:52 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

The simple startup on a Linux box is to pull the source from https://github.com/LX3JL/xlxd and compile it.

You will use the instructions at https://github.com/LX3JL/xlxd/tree/master/ambed to build the daemon and run ambed (which is what talks to the USB-3006 (XC-3006 product number) device.
You can test that it is working using https://github.com/LX3JL/xlxd/tree/master/ambedtest

(This is the extent of our testing)

From there forward use the documentation at  https://github.com/LX3JL/xlxd  and the xlxd-star Yahoo! group (this is where to post your questions on setup and configuration) to setup your reflector.

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 12:00 PM, N9UMJ <n9umj2@...> wrote:
[...]

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

N9UMJ

Thanks John

That's what I was looking for!

Rick n9umj

From there forward use the documentation at  https://github.com/LX3JL/xlxd  and the xlxd-star Yahoo! group (this is where to post your questions on setup and configuration) to setup your reflector.

[...]

Mike - KB8ZGL <wolthuis@...>

John,

Was the XC-3006 supposed to come with power pin?  Case cut?  Or the screws?

I found screws, modified the case, but don’t so far have the right power plug size.  Is it a standard you can advise on?

Mike

Kb8zgl

From: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> on behalf of John Hays <john@...>
Date: Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 1:52 PM
To: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nw-digital-radio] XC-3006 First Look

[...]

Ken,

What did you do for power?

Mike

Kb8zgl

From: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> on behalf of "Ken Jamrogowicz via Groups.Io" <ke2n@...>
Date: Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 10:33 PM
To: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>

FWIW - I have compiled the XLX software and have my new XC-3006 running with ambed. With two ThumbDV's and the XC plugged in, it says I have 8 channels available.  If you leave the console window open where you started ambed, you can see it processing any streams that come into the xlx reflector.

Of course, if you close the console window, then there is nothing to look at - although the program keeps running in the background.

Ken

Mike,

A description of what is included is at http://nwdigitalradio.com/xc-3006-full-build/  -- if you believe you are missing any items listed, please contact sales@... (sales handles sales/returns/fulfillment)

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 5:06 PM, Mike - KB8ZGL <wolthuis@...> wrote:

John,

Was the XC-3006 supposed to come with power pin?  Case cut?  Or the screws?

I found screws, modified the case, but don’t so far have the right power plug size.  Is it a standard you can advise on?

Mike

Kb8zgl

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Ken Jamrogowicz

For power: I found an old 12 volt wall wart (1 ampere I think) and chopped off the plug, replacing it with the tiny plug that came with the 3006.

I double–checked that the center pin was positive and just plugged it in.

Ken

Doug - W4DBG

I did the same. As a matter of face I took the wall wart that came with a Baofeng UV5R and it works perfectly.

Transcoder works great on the Alabama Link XLX334-B

73,

Doug
W4DBG

--
Doug Gooden
troytrojan@...

N0KEG

For power I whacked the end off an old 5v 2a power brick for a USB hub and wired it directly into the 12v side of a molex connector inside the machine running XLX and ambed.

After that I dug deeper in the envelope it came in and found the plug and screws.

Lloyd Duck

I did the same with an old 12v 1.2a power wallwart I had and drilled out the two holes for the case. The screws were just for the lid to the case so the board flops around inside the case some.

 Performance wise it’s working great! I still kept the two thumbdv’s plugged in and have 8 channels transcoding now.

Thanks NWdigital!

Lloyd
W5LND

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 8:18 PM <raymond.strickoff@...> wrote:
For power I whacked the end off an old 5v 2a power brick for a USB hub and wired it directly into the 12v side of a molex connector inside the machine running XLX and ambed.

After that I dug deeper in the envelope it came in and found the plug and screws.

Mike - KB8ZGL <wolthuis@...>

Are there any lights on the unit?  I have 9V adapter now feeding mine (center positive), but ambed is not detecting any devices.

Mike

Kb8zgl

From: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> on behalf of Lloyd Duck <lduck1974@...>
Date: Monday, June 11, 2018 at 5:11 PM
To: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>

I did the same with an old 12v 1.2a power wallwart I had and drilled out the two holes for the case. The screws were just for the lid to the case so the board flops around inside the case some.

 Performance wise it’s working great! I still kept the two thumbdv’s plugged in and have 8 channels transcoding now.

Thanks NWdigital!

Lloyd

W5LND

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 8:18 PM <raymond.strickoff@...> wrote:

For power I whacked the end off an old 5v 2a power brick for a USB hub and wired it directly into the 12v side of a molex connector inside the machine running XLX and ambed.

After that I dug deeper in the envelope it came in and found the plug and screws.

No lights. Make sure the center pin is in contact.

From: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> on behalf of Lloyd Duck <lduck1974@...>
Date: Monday, June 11, 2018 at 5:11 PM
To: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>

I did the same with an old 12v 1.2a power wallwart I had and drilled out the two holes for the case. The screws were just for the lid to the case so the board flops around inside the case some.

 Performance wise it’s working great! I still kept the two thumbdv’s plugged in and have 8 channels transcoding now.

Thanks NWdigital!

Lloyd

W5LND

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 8:18 PM <raymond.strickoff@...> wrote:

For power I whacked the end off an old 5v 2a power brick for a USB hub and wired it directly into the 12v side of a molex connector inside the machine running XLX and ambed.

After that I dug deeper in the envelope it came in and found the plug and screws.

Mike - KB8ZGL <wolthuis@...>

Ok, I will double check…

Thanks John.

No FTDI showing in dmesg.  Note, this was working with the two dongles, I did recompile ambed to make sure it was the latest.  It is acting like the device is not there.

I’ll try connecting to my laptop.  Maybe wrong power plug, maybe smaller yet than what I used.

Mike

From: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> on behalf of Lloyd Duck <lduck1974@...>
Date: Monday, June 11, 2018 at 5:11 PM
To: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>

I did the same with an old 12v 1.2a power wallwart I had and drilled out the two holes for the case. The screws were just for the lid to the case so the board flops around inside the case some.

 Performance wise it’s working great! I still kept the two thumbdv’s plugged in and have 8 channels transcoding now.

Thanks NWdigital!

Lloyd

W5LND

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 8:18 PM <raymond.strickoff@...> wrote:

For power I whacked the end off an old 5v 2a power brick for a USB hub and wired it directly into the 12v side of a molex connector inside the machine running XLX and ambed.

After that I dug deeper in the envelope it came in and found the plug and screws.

Mike - KB8ZGL <wolthuis@...>

So, that’s good call John, if I push my power supply all the way in, doesn’t make contact it seems….  I’ll need to find a different plug.

Thanks,

Mike

From: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> on behalf of Lloyd Duck <lduck1974@...>
Date: Monday, June 11, 2018 at 5:11 PM
To: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>

I did the same with an old 12v 1.2a power wallwart I had and drilled out the two holes for the case. The screws were just for the lid to the case so the board flops around inside the case some.

 Performance wise it’s working great! I still kept the two thumbdv’s plugged in and have 8 channels transcoding now.

Thanks NWdigital!

Lloyd

W5LND

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 8:18 PM <raymond.strickoff@...> wrote:

For power I whacked the end off an old 5v 2a power brick for a USB hub and wired it directly into the 12v side of a molex connector inside the machine running XLX and ambed.

After that I dug deeper in the envelope it came in and found the plug and screws.

Try pressure on one side of the power plug to make contact.

You can use lsusb to see USB devices.

From: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> on behalf of Lloyd Duck <lduck1974@...>
Date: Monday, June 11, 2018 at 5:11 PM
To: <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>

I did the same with an old 12v 1.2a power wallwart I had and drilled out the two holes for the case. The screws were just for the lid to the case so the board flops around inside the case some.

 Performance wise it’s working great! I still kept the two thumbdv’s plugged in and have 8 channels transcoding now.

Thanks NWdigital!

Lloyd

W5LND

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 8:18 PM <raymond.strickoff@...> wrote:

For power I whacked the end off an old 5v 2a power brick for a USB hub and wired it directly into the 12v side of a molex connector inside the machine running XLX and ambed.

After that I dug deeper in the envelope it came in and found the plug and screws.

Mike - KB8ZGL <wolthuis@...>

I took a little file and bent the inside pin just a hair, now things are working as expected.  Thanks for the lead.

8 channels of fun!

Mike

Kb8zgl