Topics

Yaesu AMBE chip

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 9:47 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:

Nice work, BTW.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 7:50 AM, beaupeppybrandypip@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

hmmmmm, no sure how to link to a picture I've uploaded to the groups file section. Or even how to attach a picture to a mesage.

wb1hbu@...

Hello,

I added support for the AMBE3000 in dsd, but have not posted source online. Saturday, I cleaned up my repository, reorganized the branches, and updated the source code to the current dsd code. By Sunday Night I was able to add in a cleaned up version of DVSI USB3000 support to dsd on my local laptop. No code is posted yet as I am still working on it.

I finally got to try the NWdigital DVthumb, but it did not work first time. The DVthumb uses a different baudrate (230400) and has parity (message checksum) turned off. The baudrate is no problem as it just needs a command line parameter. Since the AMBE3000 chip does not respond if the parity is wrong, I had to resend the reset command with parity off and turn on parity when the inital reset command does not return a response. I got both the USB3000 and DVthumb to work in dsd.

The developer of mbelib did not realize that the bit interleaving is usually done by the codec, so it is done in dsd and not mbelib. I had to add another set of interleaving data for the AMBE3000, mostly no interleave. DStar is exception since they transmit byte data "backwards".

The USB3000 I have supports IMBE P25, and the DVthumb does not. The code prints out if IMBE P25 is supported, but does not do anything with the information currently. This means the DVthumb will not decode IMBE P25 and Provoice.

After I get the AMBE3000 support committed, the next step is to add my Yaesu System Fusion code to the new codebase. The code currently only does Mode 1. I want to attempt to decode Mode 2 and High Speed.

Mode 2 uses a similar method as EDACS control channels, where bits are sent three times. Only 27 bits are sent 3 times, and 22 bits are unprotected. On recieve the majority of the three bits are used to determine the bit value. I do not know how they get the VCH 72 and VeCH 32 numbers on page 34 as that does not reflect the result of the processes on the page. It should be more like 49 VCH and 54 VeCH.

73 Eric

beaupeppybrandypip@...

Hi

You can send the reset command to the ThumbDV with the extra two parity bytes even when the chip has parity disabled. It will still execute the reset. But as you've noticed, it doesn't work the other way round.

The VCH 72 and VeCH 32 bits are the 104 bits (72 + 32) after adding the triple fec on the first 27 voice bits (81 bits) + 22 straight bits, then adding a padding '0' bit before whitening and bit interleaving for the frame .. this is for encoding.

Cath

---In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., <wb1hbu@...> wrote :

[...]

"Eric A. Cottrell" <wb1hbu@...>

Hello,

The early revision of the ThumbDV I have does not respond to reset with the parity on. I just retry the reset with parity off and it works solidly. I then turn parity on.

I just fixed a problem with the AMBE3000 code. I found the AMBE3000 chip does bit interleaving for AMBE, even without FEC. I had a problem playing back AMBE output files in dsd as the mbelib library does not do bit interleaving. It took some effort to figure out the interleave.

Both devices work good now, with the ThumbDV not supporting P25 or IMBE output file playback (of course).

I suspect DVSI did the interleaving so earlier chips would not do a partial decoding of the AMBE bitstream.

I just need to clean up the A3K code and do a commit/push. Then on to Yaesu System Fusion.

73 Eric

---In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., wrote :

[...]

Hello Eric

I guess DVSI has slightly improved their AMBE chips packet handling routine since the firmware revision in your chip.

I've found that if you send a packet with parity to the AMBE-3000 chip when the chip has parity enabled, the chip not only ignores the command (no problem with that), but also ignores any other following commands/packets from that point onwards .. They still need to work on their internal packet handling.

DTR to hardware reset pin would be useful ;)

Cath

Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...>

The FT230XS has 4 IO Pins which are defined as:

TX LED
RX LED
Sleep

and one unused.

I’ll look at using it for RESET in a future build of the ThumbDV.

Bryan K7UDR

beaupeppybrandypip@...

I really meant to say ..

"I've found that if you send a packet withOUT parity to the AMBE-3000 chip when the chip has parity enabled ...

---In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., <beaupeppybrandypip@...> wrote :

Hello Eric

I guess DVSI has slightly improved their AMBE chips packet handling routine since the firmware revision in your chip.

I've found that if you send a packet with parity to the AMBE-3000 chip when the chip has parity enabled, the chip not only ignores the command (no problem with that), but also ignores any other following commands/packets from that point onwards .. They still need to work on their internal packet handling.

DTR to hardware reset pin would be useful ;)

Cath

bhhoyer@...

The AMBE Chips sold by DVSI are actually TI DSPs, programmed by DVSI to implement various modes.

Yeasu has a SW License from DVSI, which allows them to use a TI DSP and implement the AMBE Vocoder, along with their protocol, in a single processor. ICOM used DVSI Chips in their early D-STAR products but now uses a SW Version as well.

Bryan K7UDR