Re: Anyone taken the UDRC and connected it to a URI?

Steve N4IRS

Konrad,
AllStarLink (ASL) is primarily intended to connect directly to a radio. Yes, there is support for telephone interconnects. Not unusual considering ASL is built on a open source PBX. No matter if it is a URI or a PCI radio card, they are intended to connect directly to a radio. ASL was not built nor intended to use ALSA applications. The guiding design principle behind ASL was high quality audio. We felt the introduction of those things would turn ASL into EchoLink or IRLP. We have leveraged one of the channel drivers, chan_USRP which does allow us to send and receive PCM via UDP. This is what we used to build the DMR and D-Star bridges. There is also a channel driver to connect ASL to Echolink.

We will build a native ASL channel driver for the UDRC. It will look like any other channel driver to ASL. To work as intended, the UDRC will connect to a radio and provide a connection to the discriminator, modulator, COS and PTT. Optionally, it will also provide a method of sensing CTCSS from the receiver internal decoder. The existing chan_usbradio channel driver encodes and decodes CTCSS and provides pre-emphasis and  de-eemphasis and some audio shaping. We hope to be able to do the same thing with the UDRC.

You can install a GUI like KDE or Gnome on top of a ASL install. But this was not what ASL was designed to do. It is intended as a light weight repeater controller / VOIP interconnect. The ALSA channel driver was intended to allow someone to use the mic and a speaker of the PC to make a telephone call. You will notice there is no PTT signaling. If you want a GUI like Gnome or KDE, you might reverse your thinking. Add ASL to a existing GUI desktop.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 08/01/2017 04:11 PM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
Steve,
I have yet to setup an RPi3 using the stock DIAL distribution with the ALSA driver option.  I have not figured out how to run KDE or Gnome on that distribution.  Instead of driving a USB dongle, I should be able to drive an ALSA application like a sound mixer, tone generator and audio spectrum analyzer or an audio record/playback software.  I should be able to connect the two using a virtual audio cable.  I feel this would be the first steps in getting the UDRC-II board to run with AllStar.

--Konrad, WA4OSH

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Konrad,
Now would be a very good time to hear you comments on ALSA handling.

73, Steve

On 7/31/2017 12:26 PM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
I look forward to your UDRC based channel driver ... and perhaps an upgraded app_rpt so that it handles the ALSA interface better.

--
Best,
Konrad

Konrad Roeder