Re: Yaesu DR-2X with UDRC

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Paul, K3PGM <pgm0203@...> wrote:
John:

Thanks for the update!

Do you know whether it's a fundamental limitation with the DR-2X, or more of a question of additional engineering on your end?

At this point it is fundamental in that the pin that is supposed to provide discriminator audio doesn't decode -- but, I haven't had a chance to figure out if this is fundamental or can be overcome.

I noticed from the manual that EXT ports 1 and 2 are interpreted differently on the DR-2X, which would certainly break things; are there other issues?

Yes, I will have to address those with special cabling, but if I can't get clean discriminator all bets are off. I think we are OK on transmit, but won't really know until fully tested.

Also, there is the question of interplay with the LAN card (I have one installed, though I have tested with it disabled and enabled).

On a related note, we were about to send one of our DR-1X units with a UDRC-II attached back to Yaesu for an update; should we hold off because of potential issues, or are the problems you observed specific to the DR-2X?

I assume you would remove the UDRC-II before sending it in.  Is this just an update (eg. firmware) or in exchange for a DR-2X?  If just an update, it should be fine.  However, if going to DR-2X, I cannot recommend it at this time.