Re: Yaesu DR-2X with UDRC

Randy Neals

This may be helpful to the thread/discussion.

From the Arcom controllers Mailing List.
Randy, W3RWN

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:[rc210] **Update on Yaesu DR2x
Date:Tue, 19 Sep 2017 11:23:12 -0700
From:Ken Arck ken@... [rc210] <rc210@...>
To:rc210@...

Hi All

It appears the DR2x we received the other day has some problems as no
signals seem to be available on the back panel DB15 (used to
interface with an external controller). There is no COS indication,
no discriminator audio, no CTCSS decode indication, etc. As such we
are unable to do any meaningful testing.

I have personally been on the phone this morning with the tech staff
at Yaesu, including the appointed "expert" and we're attempting to
work our way through this (although they have indicated they really
have little on-hands experience with the DR2x and no service manual
is yet available). They did indicate that if we (Arcom) wants to
troubleshoot the problem as we can, they're fine with that and we
will attempt to do so as we have time. Obviously we cannot answer at
this point, whether the ADR works properly with the DR2x or not.

I also asked a customer who also has a DR2x to check for signals on
the back panel connector and his appears to have COS but not
discriminator audio so he likewise is dead in the water for now.

I'll let everyone know what progress we make on this (if any).

Ken

President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
we offer complete repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"

------------------------------------
Posted by: Ken Arck <ken@...>
------------------------------------

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 3:00 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Paul, K3PGM <pgm0203@...> wrote:
John:

Thanks for the update!

Do you know whether it's a fundamental limitation with the DR-2X, or more of a question of additional engineering on your end?

At this point it is fundamental in that the pin that is supposed to provide discriminator audio doesn't decode -- but, I haven't had a chance to figure out if this is fundamental or can be overcome.

I noticed from the manual that EXT ports 1 and 2 are interpreted differently on the DR-2X, which would certainly break things; are there other issues?

Yes, I will have to address those with special cabling, but if I can't get clean discriminator all bets are off. I think we are OK on transmit, but won't really know until fully tested.

Also, there is the question of interplay with the LAN card (I have one installed, though I have tested with it disabled and enabled).

On a related note, we were about to send one of our DR-1X units with a UDRC-II attached back to Yaesu for an update; should we hold off because of potential issues, or are the problems you observed specific to the DR-2X?

I assume you would remove the UDRC-II before sending it in.  Is this just an update (eg. firmware) or in exchange for a DR-2X?  If just an update, it should be fine.  However, if going to DR-2X, I cannot recommend it at this time.