Re: direwolf configuration file

John Spoonhower

Basil,
I purchased the din 6 cable from the NW Digital Radio website at the same time I purchased the UDRC-II board. They arrived together.
Your suggestion for the direwolf.conf file does NOT key the radio. However, if I reverse the PTT GPIO settings between the 2 channels the radio does key (PTT activated). The relevant portion of my direwolf.conf file now looks like the following (with PTT working OK):

ADEVICE plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0 plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0
ARATE 48000
ACHANNELS 2
#HD-15
CHANNEL 0
MYCALL NX2I-10
MODEM 1200
PTT GPIO 23
#DIN-6
CHANNEL 1
MYCALL NX2I-10
MODEM 1200
PTT GPIO 12

Transmitter keys, still no audio when listening on a second radio 9a handheld).
I ran the alsa-show script; the results, after lowering the LO Drive level are:

./alsa-show.sh
PCM         L:[6.00dB], R:[6.00dB]
ADC Level L:[6.00dB], R:[6.00dB]
LO Driver Gain  L:[0.00dB], R:[0.00dB]

I can confirm that LO DAC, LOR output, and LOL output all show "00", i.e not muted.

For my own sanity, I confirmed that FLDIGI still works and indeed produces a nice tone when the "Tune" button is activated.

FLDIGI reports the following, BTW, when starting:

I: start_alert_thread: started audio alert thread
I: set_gpio: Set GPIO ptt on /sys/class/gpio/gpio23/value HIGH
I: set_gpio: Set GPIO ptt on /sys/class/gpio/gpio23/value LOW

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
Your PTT GPIO & cable connection comment is still wrong.  Not your
fault, I believe the "UDRC and Direwolf Packet Modem" wiki is
incorrect.

Your config should be like this:

 HD15  is on right audio channel, Direwolf chan 0
 mDin6 is on left audio channel,  Direwolf chan 1

ARATE 48000
ACHANNELS 2

#HD-15
CHANNEL 0
MYCALL NX2I-10
MODEM 1200
PTT GPIO 12

# DIN-6
CHANNEL 1
MYCALL NX2I-10
MODEM 1200
PTT GPIO 23

You are only concerned with the mDin6 connection so left audio
channel, Direwolf chan 1.

Verify using alsamixer that LOL Outp is not muted ie. shows 00 not MM.
Also verify 'LO Drive' is around 0 dB or less.

I use a script to display just ADC Level, LO Drive Gain & PCM to make
sure those are reasonable.

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/debug/alsa-show.sh

Someone who has an Yaesu FT-857 should comment on what those values
should be.  Sorry don't own any Yaesu's. John?

For my Kenwood I set the alsamixer settings like this:
'ADC Level' -2.0dB
'LO Driver Gain' 0dB
'PCM' 0.0dB

What is your source of the mDin6 cable? Hand made? or bought from?

/Basil