Re: Digi-Pi

Chris - KC9AD

Hi Steve,

I am a real Digi-Pi noob, but I, and several of my local ham colleagues are using the Digi-Pi for FSQ mode comms. We use the Fldigi software running under Linux on the Pi. FSQ is a very low speed chat mode, keyboard to keyboard, that we use on VHF FM simplex, 145.580 MHz. To address your specific question, I am using a Kenwood TM-V7 dual band mobile radio; it has a mini-DIN-6 “data” connector on the front panel. Elsewhere, we are using a Yaesu FT-8900R; it has a mini-DIN-6 connector on the back panel. So, the UDRC (aka the modem), is connected to the radio data port using a straight-thru cable with a male mini-DIN-6 on each end. You can order that cable as an option with your UDRC-II. Other radios can use different connectors, like maybe a DB-9, so you might need a different cable. The UDRC has two radio port: a mini-DIN-6 connector and a DB-9. You select the one you want in the Fldigi configuration menu. Once the radio is connected, it is controlled by the software. So, you type a line of text and, when you hit enter, the UDRC turns on the PTT and transmits your message via the radio.

I realize that there’s a lot more to it, but hopefully this adds to your understanding. 73.

Chris Doutre KC9AD

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve McGrane
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2018 9:17 AM
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [udrc] Digi-Pi

Seems like a pretty easy/simple build... but I have zero idea what's actually going on after the build is finished.. 

How do you connect it to your radio?

What is he transmitting/receiving?

A lot of the digital mode videos seem to start after the radio is connected and go over the software.  I haven't figured out yet what kind of radio I need or how to hook up after I have it.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Gordon Munck <Gordonmunck@...> wrote:

Thank you, John.  Looks like fun!

Gordon

On Apr 12, 2018, at 10:27 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

By WB7FHC -- Budd Churchward

Short Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65RONF37svw

--

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA

K7VE

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.

Join udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.