Re: Can not access UDRC after updating software

Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>

On May 29, 2018, at 9:44 AM, Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Anna,

First, thanks for all your help, and apologies for the name confusion.

No problem.  These things happen.

Perhaps I have a combination of incompatible components, since my Linux appears to be 4.9.80-v7+ although my Raspberry Pi bootloader is 1.20180525-1compass

pi@compass:~ $ cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.9.80-v7+ (jenkins@jenkins) (gcc version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu/Linaro 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) ) #1 SMP Fri May 25 08:05:14 PDT 2018
pi@compass:~ $

The kernel package version is different than the kernel version.  Confusing, I know, but because of the package versioning rules and what gets installed, it pretty much has to be done that way.

I think I see your problem here.  The bottom of your config.txt looks like this right now:

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

force_turbo=1
dtoverlay=udrc

It should look like this

dtoverlay=
# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

force_turbo=1
dtoverlay=udrc

Note the line that reads “dtoverlay=“.  It is correct that it has nothing for the right hand side of the setting.  This ignore the device tree that is in the flash memory on the UDRC and uses whatever comes after instead.

— Anna

Herb

On May 29, 2018, at 8:30 AM, Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...> wrote:

On May 29, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Jeremy,

It’s actually Anna or Annaliese now.  Thanks!

Thank you for your reply. Although I don't yet know if or how I can fix it, at least I'm beginning to get a better understanding of what I have.

pi@compass:~ $ dpkg -l raspberrypi-kernel
||/ Name                          Version             Architecture        Description
+++-=============================-===================-===================-=============================
ii  raspberrypi-kernel            1.20180525-1compass armhf               Raspberry Pi bootloader
pi@compass:~ $

So, the Raspberry Pi bootloader is compass.

This means that your installed package for the Linux kernel is from Compass and not from the Pi Foundation.  If it were from the Pi Foundation it wouldn’t include the -1compass at the end

Just out of curiosity, I tried:

pi@compass:~ $ sudo apt-get install udrc-dkms
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package udrc-dkms
pi@compass:~ $

So, this explains why apt search udrc did not list udrc-dkms.

Right.  You appear not to be on wilderness, which is probably good.

II was not aware that apt-get upgrade would install unstable software. What I intended to do was to install the most up to date stable software. Is there something i should have done instead?

If you’re on the “alder” release, we endeavor to make sure that the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade process works correctly.  On Wilderness, anything goes.  You can tell the difference by looking in /etc/apt.d/sources.list.d/compass.list and seeing which of those words are in there.

In the mean time, it appears as though you have the drivers, they’re just not loading.  Can you post your config.txt and we may be able to see what’s up in there?

Herb