Re: SeaPac 2017 Workshop Attendees Received Wilderness (rather than Alder) Release

Annaliese McDermond

Herb --

I would hang out for a few weeks and refrain from doing any apt-get upgrade or apt-get update. I am going to be working on Cedar and will probably be able to walk you through getting a good load on your system without reformatting when I get that work done. In the mean time, you should have a stable system for the moment. It’s not really easy to go back to the Alder packages without quite a bit of work and some sketchiness that I’d rather you not go through. With Cedar you should be getting newer package versions of pretty much everything, so the package system shouldn’t get confused like if you were to try to regress in package versions. I realize this isn’t an entirely satisfactory answer, but it’s the best one I have for you at this point in time. Unfortunately I have a day job that takes a bit of my time, so doing these package releases has to happen on my “hobby” time. I’ll be at SeaPac this weekend and don’t intend on coding during that time. :)

--
Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems

On May 29, 2018, at 6:08 PM, Herb Weiner <@herbw> wrote:

I just checked /etc/apt/sources.list.d/compass.list (Apr 23 2017) from a never used 16 GB SD card that I received at SeaPac last year, and it is configured to use wilderness (rather than Alder):

deb [arch=armhf,amd64] http://archive.compasslinux.org/ wilderness main

The implications of this are very scary... it means that every time we do an apt-get upgrade, we are getting "experimental" builds -- the vary latest untested nightly builds. No wonder I had problems after doing an upgrade.

What is the best way to switch to the Alder (tested) release? Can I change this configuration file to request alder? Is there any way to force alder to replace wilderness? Or, do I need to download a brand new compass and start from scratch?

Herb