Re: self-contained DRAWS Workstation

Brian Badger

Demetre,

It is so very cool to run into you again after 20 years.  Regarding your description below, if you don’t mind I’d like to tell you how I have done this with my HF portable rig.

I never touch my Pi or radio at all while operating digital modes.  Instead I host a WiFi hotspot on the Pi that is always running and hidden away in my rig backpack.   I connect to WiFi with my phone and bring up the interface either with http, ssh or VNC tunnelled over ssh (depending on the app).

For example:
Pat : http, or ssh
Arim/ardop: ssh (works really well)
Fldigi: VNC or ssh+nc to the telnet port.  I also have a script that starts fldigi in wefax mode and tunes the rig for hands free operation.
Flrig: VNC
Hamlib scripts to automatically configure the rig for each mode: ssh or VNC with .desktop icons
Direwolf: ssh to stop and start
YACC: VNC

A typical operation sequence would be.

1) connect to WiFi
2) connect to Pi using ssh
3) run script radio_on.sh
4) run script direwolf30m.sh
5) disconnect

This could be automated with a webpage, but this works just as well for me, and for most operations it is as easy to use as sending an email with your phone.

Brian N0KZ

On Nov 21, 2018, at 12:40 PM, Demetre - M0SUY (SV1UY) <demetre.sv1uy@...> wrote:

Really it would be self contained only if it allowed a 3.5 touch screen to be plugged on top of Draws as a Hat and even better if it came in a dedicated box preferably with a 5 volt battery inside the box.

The way it is now, you need so many cables and this is far from suitable for portable operating!

I hope the makers will think about it in the next version.

---
73 de Demetre SV1UY/M0SUY

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018, 18:27 Didier <on4byv@... wrote:

Hello,

any availability estimate for the self-contained DRAWS Workstation (HAT, Raspberry Pi, case & SW)?

73,

Didier