Re: HOWTO: Receive monitoring on Yaesu with DRAWS

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

(asking because I don't know one way or the other)

Could you put a switch on this pin so that you could use SQL when needed and turn it off to regain HF voice?

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM Brian Badger <brian@...> wrote:
Since I got no response, I attacked one of my cables and determined that to restore receive monitoring audio on a Yaesu radio (FT-817 and FT-897 tested), I would have to sacrifice my SQL pin.  With the SQL pin disconnected, the audio output of the radio is normal, with the SQL pin connected the audio output of the radio is muted.  For packet, this muting is fine, but for a mobile HF rig this is not usable.  I was hoping this would be controllable by setting the GPIO, but to no avail.

HOW TO CUT THE SQL PIN:
1) Carefully remove the insulator of a 2 inch section of the cable, for convenience sake, somewhere in the middle.
2) Carefully open the shield foil to find 6 color coded wires:
green: DATA OUT (1200)
red: GND
beige: DATA IN
yellow: PTT
orange: DATA OUT (9600)
black: SQL
3) cut the black wire.  Wrap both ends of the black wire with electrical tape -- if the radio end of this wire touches the shield your audio will mute
4) rewrap the shield foil
5) cover the cable with electrical tape.

--
Brian N0KZ