Re: Beta Image Available #draws #betaimage

Basil Gunn

Mike,

Thank you very much for the screen shots. For me personally it means a
lot to hear of your success.

Since you are going to be using FLDigi you will need to turn direwolf
off before running that program.

I have a couple of scripts that allow you to do that in the following
directory:

~/n7nix/systemd/bin/

ax25-stop will unload all the ax.25 stuff & stop direwolf for your
current session. ie. if you reboot ax.25 & direwolf will be running
again.

ax25-disable will stop the ax.25 & direwolf services from loading
between RPi reboots.

This script in ~/bin will let you know what ax25 & direwolf processes
are running, would be good to run it before starting up FLDigi to be
sure direwolf has been stopped.

ax25-status

Also I am working on an install problem so there will be yet another
draws-beta image either today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for the screen shots.

/Basil n7nix

Mike - KB0FX <@KB0FX> writes:

John & Basil - Thank you very much for the Beta image and the additional
information on how to run the script to get Direwolf running. This morning
I did a greenfield install of the beta image on a brand new Raspberry Pi 3
Model B+ and everything just worked! So have I have GPS, Chrony and
Direwolf working. I am using a Icom IC-2720 on APRS. Hope to try FLDIGI
this afternoon. See my screen shots below.

Thanks

Mike - KB0FX

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 12:01 PM Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:

If you want direwolf functionality with the draws hat do this:

cd
cd n7nix/config
sudo su
./app_config.sh core

This will run a script that sets up AX.25, direwolf & systemd

Now reboot your RPi & confirm your installation is working:

Receive
Tune your radio to the 1200 baud APRS frequency: 144.39 because there
should be lots of traffic there.

tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log
or
become root & run listen -at in a console window

Transmit
Tune your radio to the 1200 baud APRS frequency: 144.39
cd
cd n7nix/debug
sudo su
./btest.sh -P [udr0|udr1]
This will send either a position beacon or a message beacon
with the -p or -m options.

Using a browser go to: https://aprs.fi/
Under Other Views, click on raw packets
Put your call sign followed by an asterisk in "Originating callsign"
Click search, you should see the beacon you just transmitted.

After that you can configure rmsgw, paclink-unix or someother packet
program that requires direwolf ie.:

./app_config.sh rmsgw
./app_config.sh plu

If you want to run some other program that does NOT use direwolf then do
this:
cd
cd bin
sudo su
./ax25-stop
This will bring down direwolf & all the ax.25 services.

I will put this in a markdown doc file later on today.

/Basil

John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays> writes:

A Beta image is available for download at
http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta2.zip

(This location may change.)

Unzip the file which will create draws_beta2.img
Use an SD Card of at least 8 GB and copy the img file with an image
burner
like Etcher <https://www.balena.io/etcher/> or dd under Linux.

Insert into Raspberry Pi (with DRAWS HAT)
Boot up. It will expand the file system to fill your SD card.

User: pi / nwcompass but it will autologin and present GUI.

Run *raspi-config* to set timezone and enable ssh and vnc if desired.

If the GPS antenna is installed:

*sudo systemctl enable gpsd*

*sudo systemctl start gpsdsudo systemctl restart chrony*

Explore the menu system and desktop Icons. (The Direwolf menu item is
broken.)

To start and stop direwolf use:

*sudo systemctl start direwolf*
*sudo systemctl stop direwolf*

Application support should be directed to the author of each application.
Use Raspbian support for OS questions. General questions can be asked in
this group. (Check Wiki as well)

There are many applications installed, you can see the install scripts in
/home/pi/n7nix and an install log in /var/log

More information will be provided, but getting this out for those who are
waiting.

A few commands:

*gpsmon* # Check the GPS
*chronyc* sources # Check the NTP clock
*sensors* # Check sensors, including the input voltage if using the HAT
12
V input.