Re: (longer) DRAWS power cable? #draws #power

Budd Churchward

While you are at it, don’t forget to include a fuse in the line. Like the UDRCs that preceded it, the DRAWS board uses a diode across the input voltage and ground for reverse polarity protection which simply explodes micro-seconds before it fries the board unless you have a fuse. Ask me how I know. Ask Anna. We’ve seen fire. As the saying goes: “It stops working when you let the magic smoke out.”

Budd WB7FHC

Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2018 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: [udrc] (longer) DRAWS power cable? #draws #power

John,

Thanks for the input.  I am pretty much a rank amateur on the hardware side of things.  I've already managed loose an inch or more off the pigtails trying to put some Anderson Power Poles on them.  Hadn't occurred to me to simply solder longer wires to the pigtails.  I assume that I could go to a larger gauge of wire which would allow me to have a somewhat more robust termination to the connectors I want to try.  That 28 gauge wire in the pigtails is awfully fragile to a fumble thumbs like me.

If you have a part number for the pig tails and a source I'd appreciate hearing more from you.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 2:45 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Be careful to get the right polarity, to match the pins on the DRAWS board.  We have seen some with the black and red wires switched from what DRAWS is expecting.

We are looking at some options, so don't overdo it on buying a bunch of pigtails.

BTW, pigtails are meant to be just that, a little solder and shrink tubing and connect it to a longer cable with whatever connector you like on the other end.

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 2:15 PM Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:

Complete assemblies

https://www.adafruit.com/product/261

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9914

Robert/KF7VOP

On 12/15/2018 09:53 AM, Gayland Gump wrote:
Does anyone have a source for the power pigtails for the DRAWS?  I'll likely need a few as I learn how to put Anderson Power Pole connectors on the non-terminated end of the pigtail.  The one I got with the DRAWS is already getting too short as I fail my way through to having enough experience and technique to achieve success.

Gayland
KG7GCF

Connector is JST XRH Series