Re: ntpd not installed on beta 5 #ntp #chrony #ntpd

Basil Gunn

Bernard,

I have been playing around with chrony for a few hours now and I've
convinced myself that chronyd should work fine with or without a gps
antenna connected.

If you look at the output of this command without a GPS antenna:

sudo timedatectl

it should have "Network time on: yes"

I have experienced chrony sometimes taking several minutes to get the
local time correct. I think installing the battery on the DRAWS board
could help that behavior. Let me know if you see other time related
problems.

/Basil

f6bvp <f6bvp@...> writes:

Ok. I reinstalled chrony for it had been removed when installing ntp.
This time command
systemctl status chrony
showed that it was started as ntp client/server and
chrony sources command found 6 sources while gps is not activated.

Thanks,

73 de Bernard f6bvp

Le 18 déc. 2018 à 17:20, John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays> a écrit :

Chrony works without GPS as a client on the Internet.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018, 08:13 Basil Gunn <@basil860 wrote:

I noticed that on my compass beta-5 system the time was not set
correctly despite I did perform initial country, keyboard
etc...configuration. Thus I apt-get installed ntp and after one or
two minutes the console clock did display local time correctly.
That's true & I need to fix that.

Currently time defaults to using chrony & the gps. Chrony is another
implementation the Network Time Protocol. You should notice that when
you install ntp, chrony is removed.
I need to look into using chrony without a gps.