Re: ntpd not installed on beta 5 #ntp #chrony #ntpd

Basil Gunn

From some google-fu:

Note that the chrony service does not change the time. The often
misconception is that the chrony service is setting the time to the one
given by the NTP server. This is incorrect – what actually happens is
that based on the answer from the NTP server, chrony just tells the
system clock to go faster or slower. For this reason, sometimes even
though the time is wrong and the NTP server is working, the time does
not get corrected immediately.

If your system time is off by a lot you can try this.
To step the system clock immediately, bypassing any adjustments in
progress by slewing, issue the following command as root:

chronyc makestep

Also check out entries in:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/VERIFY_CONFIG.md
Look for "Check GPS"

Also send me the console output from this script.
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/gps/verify_time.sh

/Basil

Gayland Gump <kg7gcf@...> writes:

I believe it ran for a few hours without the update, in fact I was
surprised when I finally noticed that the date and time were so off. I did
not do anything with chrony nor the gps other than install the battery and
hooked up the antenna.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 5:56 PM Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:

FYI, I installed a battery before I first powered up the DRAWS but the
time did not update even with a network connection and the gps antenna
installed.
My experience is that it can sometimes take 10 minutes for chronyd to
sync.
/Basil

I ended up setting it manually using the date command. Haven't
been back to it to see if it has held will try to get around to that
soon.

Gayland
KG7GCF