Re: It was "fine", then... strange behavior #draws #setup #betaimage

Gayland Gump

See text below for my response to Basil's response.
Gayland
KG7GCF

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 11:46 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Hi Gayland,
Thank you for testing the DRAWS board.

This email only addresses your audio problem.  First uncommenting the
dtparam=audio=on line in the /boot/config.txt should not cause your
system to become unusable. I'm guessing there was something else that
was changed/added in the config.txt file that caused that.

So I un-commented the  "dtparam=audio=on" line in the draws://boot/config.txt file, saved the file, and rebooted.  I then used the menu to launch fldigi.  Fldigi status line reported inability to access the Port Audio ports.  I then opened the Config Tab -> Clicked on the Audio Tab, then attempted to choose the udrc as the port audio device but it was unavailable, at this time the USER interface locked up.  I was forced to ssh into the box and kill fldigi.  I subsequently restored /boot/config.txt to its original condition and rebooted without any on board audio and successfully used the DRAWS to engage another ham for a few minutes.

I'll dive into the VERIFY_CONFIG doc and Xaster README for the information you've provided below.

I have notes in the VERIFY_CONFIG doc & the Xastir README describing
what you need to do for enabling analog & HDMI sound on the RPi. This
functionality is unrelated to any of the UDRC/DRAWS hats.

It is at times difficult to discern what parts of this documentation are relevant to my use of the hats.  I'd pretty much moved away from any APRS, packet use and have been focusing on Fldigi functionality.  So Basil should I be following this instruction "Before verifying CORE functionality you must have run the app config script" with the new DRAWS betas or has that already been done?

Chrony and the gps both appear to be functional although the command "chrony makestep" did not seem to be updating the date time setting, but I just checked time on the DRAWS unit and it appears to have synced this time.  Does the chrony makestep need to be run every time the  unit is powered up of course that would make the RTC and battery sort of pointless wouldn't it?

Hope I am not being too much of a pain.  Thanks for you feedback.

I have added notes in the VERIFY_CONFIG.md file near the end for "Test
RPi sound"
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/VERIFY_CONFIG.md

Also please check the xastir README.md under "Configure Audio"
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/xastir/README.md

/Basil