Re: Status: IC-7000 Audio Levels for V/UHF and HF modes #draws #hfmodes #ic7000

Jack Spitznagel

Basil and All,

Tried to take a scientific/stepwise approach with setting the DRAWS board audio out today.

I went through the entire level and deviation check routine again today and wound up with very similar settings to my previous attempts. I then tested direwolf VHF-FM first and then after disabling AX25, fldigi and wsjt-x on HF.  Results “ain’t purty”, but at least everything is being consistent.

Software function status:

VHF - with direwolf/Xastir transmitting and receiving on the local packet network does work .

Comment: I don't really have a an easy/better way to test than function on APRS network locally. I have a sense that the audio may be high, but I won’t know until I have time to putter with Spectrum Lab. It will become my "Deviation Meter" with an IC-7100 functioning as my "sensor".

UHF - have not tried anything yet. TBD

HF - With the alsamixer settings below (visually they produce the "lowest splatter" per an IC-7300 panscope and using Spectrum Lab 2 with the IC-7300 internal audio subsystem via USB. Rig coax is grounded, RF gain at 20% with 20dB of attenuation:

1. Fldigi drives the IC-7000 up to full power (if set) but transmits a very dirty sig at any power above 5%.

Comment: The sig can be copied by others, but the ALC bar is reading 60%. Not making any friends in the PSK world. These are ALC symptoms. Reducing either the PCM level or LO Driver Gain results in very much increased noise and a feedback like whistle at a different freq. Increasing the two settings results in more splatter and harmonics.

2. WSJT-x receives just fine but DRAWS produces only an extremely low transmit audio level according to the IC-7000 and signal being received on other transceivers. Only testing with FT8 no other JT modes tested. TBD: wspr.

Comment: In transmit there is no Power Out deflection on the IC-7000 - even if I adjust the PCM and IO Driver levels to the max, together or separate. So the PCM/LO Driver Gain level settings that “work” in fldigi, don’t work in wsjt-x. I even went back to check that invoking wsjt-x did not somehow tweak the alsamixer settings… they remained the same.

Key Question: Why is DRAWS overdriving in fldigi, and then not putting out enough audio level to drive the IC-7000 to set power level in wjst-x FT8 mode with alsamixer settings remaining the same between apps?

Here are my current alsamixer settings:

PCM                       L:[-21.50dB],      R:[-21.50dB

ADC Level            L:[-2.00dB],         R:[-2.00dB]

LO Driver Gain  L:[6.00dB],          R:[6.00dB]

IN1                         L:[10kOhm],       R:[10kOhm]

IN2                         L:[Off],                 R:[Off]

I am stuck until I can figure out how to coerce wsjt-x into transmitting at set power with the same audio input levels to the rig as provided in fldigi. At this point I don’t even care if the overdrive issue isn’t solved. I have decided to put the FT-817 aside because other are working/reporting on it. I am only testing with the Beta 5 provided software and the IC-7000 until I get these critical pieces working reliably because that will be my main radio for this DRAWS kit.

Now need to go pay attention to other stuff (like family and the local zoo of 4-legged furries we keep here on the farm).

Thanks for thinking this through with me…

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

--