Re: Cant turn off direwolf and ax25 #draws #direwolf #ax25 #configuration #management

That is correct.

Direwolf can run independently of the AX.25 stack.  And programs that can talk directly using agwpe or kiss over the network work just fine (e.g. YAAC, Xastir).  Basil has done a lot of work to have a stable, reproducible AX.25 stack available for a variety of programs that need it, including an RMS, BBS, and various other applications (commonly used in EMCOMM).  While running the AX.25 application stack, these (mostly APRS) applications can also run through the same direwolf instance, using the same radios, over agwpe or networked KISS.

Direwolf by itself is also a capable digipeater and igate, though we tend to use it more often as a modem and let other programs handle the higher level protocols.

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 5:44 PM Art - KC7SDA <nouse4anick@...> wrote:
as an fyi you don't NEED ax25 to run direwolf, I never installed the AX.25 stack on any of my ham computers and I can still run direwolf and xastir perfectly fine