Re: Setting up auto time with draws gps #ntp #chrony #gps #clock #battery

Steve, N9VW

Wouldn't the almanac become stale as well, say after 6 months? Wouldn't that be about the same thing as a cold start when the system is booted back up?

73 de N9VW, Steve

On 12/27/2018 10:34 AM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
On the go-kit.  The backup battery is only good for a cumulative 40 days with no power attached to the DRAWS™ HAT.  So if you have let it sit for 6-months, you will need to replace the battery and resync the RTC using the built-in GPS (w/Antenna).

I would suggest a blister pack of batteries in the go-kit.  They are relatively inexpensive and have decent shelf life.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 9:41 AM Budd Churchward <budd@...> wrote:
Sorry for not making myself clear. The clock problem was something I saw
while using the UDRC-II which has no GPS. The Rpi does a real lousy job of
keeping time all by itself. One of the best things about the new DRAWS is
that we now have a solution. The GPS and the RTC with back up battery are a
welcome addition to the digital controller. It looks like we need to give
the board a chance to see the satellites and set up the RTC. Then we can
tuck DRAWS into our Go-Kit and it will be ready when we need it. The back up
battery is an important part of this plan.

73 Budd WB7FHC