Re: Setting up auto time with draws gps #ntp #chrony #gps #clock #battery

The gps realtime clock must be set by the gps (with antenna).  Then it should be able to provide a date/time at startup, even if the gps is not active (i.e. not receiving signals from satellites).

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 6:27 PM Art - KC7SDA <nouse4anick@...> wrote:
I did the setup as described in the wiki.... with a battery installed and no gps antenna chronyc sources says that gps is unreachable

cgps shows no fix BUT it has the correct date/time

the time offset from cgps shows -1022.something (bounces between 2 numbers).

I also ran all commands in the verify_time.sh script. chronyd is running and the date/time is off (about half an hour or so as I shut the pi down several times).

please note that the reason for the clock to set itself on boot is because it might take minutes (or never) for the gps to acquire a signal, and that's a waste of time for the user who may never get their clock updated.