Re: possible DRAWS hardware failure.

Basil Gunn

Thanks, you nailed it. /dtparm=audio=on/ was before /dtovelay=/ and
/dtoverlay=draws. /Made the change and it fixed the problem. Someone
needs to make this change in the image. I didn't change the contents or
order of the commands in config.txt, just added # to comment out the
line and got FLDIGI to work on urdc (0,0).
When you enable the RPi bcm2835 audio device it enumerates first &
becomes hw:0,0 and the udrc becomes hw:1,0

Also on the image I use it does not matter where I put dtparm=audio=on
in the /boot/config.txt file.

I can't explain why aplay -l did not find the udrc device when you
enabled the bcm2835 audio device. The udrc not showing up with aplay -l is
certainly a symptom that the draws dtoverlay did not load.

Which Image are you using?

/Basil

I have been fighting with
the problem for about a week and convinced it was a hardware failure,
which was wrong, but not smart enough to know what it was or how to fix
it.

I am sure there are dozens of subtle problems in getting a product and
software launched. All of the players at NW digital providing support
have been great. Early adopting can be frustrating at times.

Thanks,

Joe

On 1/1/2019 7:40 PM, Annaliese McDermond wrote:
It appears to me that you have incorrect settings in your config.txt file. I will make this very explicit because I’m not sure I’ve made myself clear before:

*ORDER MATTERS IN LINES IN config.txt*

If you do not get the directives in the correct order, the OS kernel will not load the correct drivers for you.

If you intend to use the onboard audio on the Pi, the line

dtparam=audio=on

*MUST* come after the lines

dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=draws

Otherwise the device tree will not be loaded correctly and you won’t get a proper driver set.

--
Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
nh6z@...

On Jan 1, 2019, at 3:56 PM, Joseph Vilardo <@k3jv> wrote:

Basil

I ran your suggested procedures and I am still where I was when I started. When I run FLDIGI, after doing all the prerequisites for shutting down DIREWOLF and and running ./ax25-stop , I still cannot select a sound card from the fldigi audio setup menu. To select the the codec from the fldigi audio set up I must have #dtparam=audio=on commented out in the config.txt file. With dtparam=audio=on commented out with the # symbol I can then select urdc: - (hw:0,0) , not urdc: - (hw:0,1) for capture and urdc:-(hw:0,0) for playback. This result is what you said enumerates with dtparm=audio=on commented out, only hw 0,0 will enumerate.

When following the new draw "getting started doc "DRAWS Raspberry PI image" from the wiki and run "aplay-l I" do not get the same results shown in the example of the doc.

This what I see:

card
0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]

Subdevices: 7/7

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Subdevice #1: subdevice #1

Subdevice #2: subdevice #2

Subdevice #3: subdevice #3

Subdevice #4: subdevice #4

Subdevice #5: subdevice #5

Subdevice #6: subdevice #6

card
0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice
#0: subdevice #0

Your example shows the following which I do not get:

card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: Universal Digital Radio Controller tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []

Subdevices: 0/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I have tried re formatting the micro sd card, changing sd cards, re burning the image, changing the RPi 3 B+ to a different RPi B+, powering the RPi/DRAWS board from 12 volt supply. I am out of ideas and because of the anomaly in the results from aplay -l I think the problem it is a hardware failure of the DRAWS Board.

If you have any suggestions I am ready to try them.

Best regards and happy New Year,

Joe K3JV

On 12/30/2018 1:08 AM, Basil Gunn wrote:
Joe,
Thanks for all the information.

I have been successful in verifying the core operation of Beta 6 and
have Direwolf/YAAC running without issue on port 0. I also have FLDIGI
running on port 0 (left hand port on the draws board) without a
problem but had to deviate from the information in
DRAWS_CONFIG.md. The directions in the verify document tell us to
remove the # from dtparm=audio=on to "Test analog audio" . I do that
by removing the # in the config.txt file for the Rpi and the test runs
and I get the results indicated. The same is true for "TEST OF HDMI
AUDIO" . By the way there is a minor error in the information the beta
6 release doesn't have a file named "silence.wav" in $
/usr/share/xastir/sounds.
Yes I see that. I'll fix it.
For now just copy it from n7nix/xastir/silence.wav to the
/usr/share/xastir/silence.wav

Here is the question. When I complete the verify core test and
shutdown --ax25
You need to run a script in your local bin called. ax25-stop

and then start FLDIGi and try to configure the sound
card FLDIGI fails and shuts down.
Try this.
You should see the process id of direwolf the first time you run pidof
and not the second time.

cd
cd bin
sudo su
pidof direwolf
./ax25-stop
pidof direwolf

Now run fldigi

In fldigi under the choices in the
audio selection menu there is no udrc audio choice available.
I just tried it & Fldigi enumerates:
udrc: -(hw:1,0)

without the enabled RPi sound device the udrc will enumerate like this:
udrc: -(hw:0,0)

I have a feeling you are not shutting down direwolf.
The next image will have direwolf unloaded by default.

IF I go
back to CONFIG.TXT and comment out, put the # in, for the line
dtparam=audio=on, reboot, start FLDIGI I can then select the udrc 0
port and complete the configuration of fldigi without issue and fldigi
runs just fine. Am I overlooking something in your instructions?
Or are we to comment out the dtparam=audio=on in the config.txt of the
RPi
There should be no problem enabling the BCM2835 RPi sound device.
I use it with Xastir for the sound alerts.

I am making some progress with WSTX I can receive and decode but not
transmit yet. I need to recheck the cable I made that goes from the
6pin mini din of the draws board to the 13 pin Din of my TS 590.

Thanks,
K3JV Joe