Re: #BETA7 performance report #ft-817 #beta7 #config #ic-7000

Basil Gunn

See embedded below.

Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> writes:

Just noticed I got bit by my cut/paste haste!

I used the setalsa-ic7000.sh script to initially set audio levels for
that radio. All else is correct.

Jack - KD4IZ
On Jan 7, 2019, at 23:10, Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> wrote:

Hi Basil,

Beta 7 installed and the core config executed according to
instructions. Comment: It is getting really easy to run the entire
setup now with experience. Hopefully someone with good coding skills
(and the time to do it) can turn the process into menu panels or even
GUI driven setup eventually. Understand the time restrictions there.
John is working on a GUI config program

Ran the verifications - all were OK. The set up apps:
Listened/watched panscope using other radios. TX was into dummy load.

Config for FT-817:
Used setalsa-ft817.sh to configure for that radio and set the FT-817
menu items as suggested in the documentation:

Test Results:
- Direwolf/Xastir works OK at that level (but did not check deviation).
- Killed AX25/Xastir and ran fldigi – at the shipped FT-817 alsa
settings, transmit tone was noisy/ALC too high
This is not unexpected the FT-817 and any HF VHF/UHF radio has 2
distinct radios so would not expect that the level settings for VHF
would also work on HF.

- To get clean tone, I had to change my ALSA settings back to:
===== ALSA Controls for Radio Tansmit ===== <
LO Driver Gain L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
PCM L:[-8.00dB] R:[-8.00dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[PTM_P1] R:[PTM_P1]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip CM]

===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]

- AND had to reduce the FT-817 [menu #25] DIG MIC is setting to 25 (from suggested 65) to get no ALC and clean output.

After these changes audio levels were good and was able to QSO in fldigi and wsjt-x FT8 mode.

Config for IC-7000: (I have a headache…)

-Used setalsa-ft817.sh to configure for that radio.
Should be setalsa-ic7000.sh as you mentioned above.

- Test Result:
- Direwolf/Xastir works OK at that level but again did not check deviation.
- Killed AX25/Xastir and ran both fldigi and wsjt-x FT8 mode.
**** - transmit level was noisy with no tone and no power.
**** - increasing PCM and LO Drive brought tone up out of noise – but no power still with rig set to 25% output.
- Ran the setalsa-udrc-din6.sh to “zero” the settings.
Why not setalsa-default.sh?

****- same result regardless of PTM setting or the levels of PCM and LO Drive

**** Here is where it got weird ****
Reset DRAWS to the FT-817 settings above, rebooted and accidentally
left the radio on SSB when I started Direwolf/Xastir.

**** The initial packet from Xastir drove the rig to the set power level!
-Shutdown direwolf/Xastir and ran both fldigi and wsjt-x
**** - got very low output with both as before

**** Here it got even more weird ****
I ran the measure_deviate.sh script in ~/n7nix/deviation and it drove
the radio to set power and pegged the ALC!!!
This script is used to set FM deviation.
Although the observation is interesting it doesn't make sense to use
this tool on SSB.

To rule out that something is wrong with the IC-7000, I hooked it up
to my laptop/SignaLink USB/using fldigi and drove the rig full power
with no ALC. Nothing is wrong with the IC-7000.

SO the big question now is why will direwolf and measure_deviate.sh
drive the IC-7000 to set power (too much ALC) in USB when neither
wsjt-x or fldigi will produce enough audio *at identical alsamixer
settings*?

This is not what you and Corky reported the other day… and I am
really puzzled.
The problem I have is I don't know what your radio settings are so that
I can compare them with what Corky & I were using. I think we need to
identify the critical controls or even better do a factory reset on the
radio to set all controls to a known value.

Also have you checked out Bryan's YouTube video for setting ALSA
controls using TX Calc spreadsheet: https://youtu.be/RxWiDYMcRn4

* TX Calc spreadsheet:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/files/TX%20Calc.xlsx

I will continue to try & replicate your results although I currently do not have
access to either the FT-817 or IC-7000 but I have located an IC-7000
that Bryan can examine. Should have it to him by this Friday.