Re: #BETA7 performance report #ft-817 #beta7 #config #ic-7000

Jack Spitznagel

Basil,

Thanks again for your comments and special thanks ahead of time to John for doing that GUI menu. It will make a big difference during setup.

I fear this post will get too long if I just comment in your reply so I have pulled your comments and questions up to address here. You commented/asked:

On HF/VHF/UHF radios

> This is not unexpected the FT-817 and any HF VHF/UHF radio has 2 distinct radios so would not expect that the level

> settings for VHF would also work on HF.

Interestingly, for the FT-817, the original settings did not work but my settings do work for FM and SSB without alteration when the settings are changed from the setalsa-ft817.sh script as I did below:

>> ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Tansmit ===== <

>> LO Driver Gain                   L:[-2.00dB]          R:[-2.00dB]

>> PCM                                      L:[-8.00dB]          R:[-8.00dB]

>> DAC Playback PT               L:[PTM_P1]        R:[PTM_P1]

>> LO Playback CM                [Full Chip CM]

>> ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====

>> ADC Level            L:[-2.00dB]          R:[-2.00dB]

>> IN1                         L:[Off]                   R:[Off]

>> IN2                         L:[10 kOhm]       R:[10 kOhm]

NOTE: What I can’t find in any of my “all band rig” documentation is where the modulator input sensitivities are called out as being different between the different modes (FM vs SSB).

If there is a really important difference for some radios, you may want to clarify in the script filenames that the settings in each radio specific "setalsa-*.sh" script is for VHF/UHF or HF. This may well be true for a premium radio like the IC-9100.

From where you were talking about use of the measure_deviate script:

> This script is used to set FM deviation.

> Although the observation is interesting it doesn't make sense to use this tool on SSB.

Understood. It was a convenient way to generate and TX a tone for 60 seconds at 1000Hz to quickly test what was happening and it uncovered the difference between app function and "direct audio drive with keyup". I was using an adjustable wrench as a hammer as usual. Probably broke something in the process. Mea culpa.

> The problem I have is I don't know what your radio settings are so that I can compare them with what Corky & I were

> using. I think we need to identify the critical controls or even better do a factory reset on the radio to set all controls

> to a known value.

On the last go around with Beta 7, I started with a factory reset of the IC-7000. Outside of a few things like my callsign on the start screen and setting the local time properly, everything is the factory default. Happy to share the RT Systems “rig settings” page if needed.

> Also have you checked out Bryan's YouTube video for setting ALSA controls using TX Calc spreadsheet:

> https://youtu.be/RxWiDYMcRn4

Yes, it is a very nice tool for determining good starting values for radios. I used it for the 7000 with a value of 100mV (modulator input for the 13-pin ACC socket of  IC-7000, the DATA socket value is not given and is probably not different). Here is the table I generated for the radios I plan to use with the DRAWS board:

3204 0dB REF

Digital

Line Output

Radio

Vtx mV

500

PCM

LO

CODEC

Peak to Peak

1414

Peak

707

RMS

500

0.0

0

0.0

Elecraft KX3

Peak to Peak

300

HF USB

Peak

150

Check Mic Gain

RMS

106

-13.5

-7.5

-6.0

IC-7000

Peak to Peak

100

HF USB

Peak

50

Check Mic Gain

RMS

35

-23.0

-17.0

-6.0

FT-817

Peak to Peak

1000

HF USB

Peak

500

Check Mic Gain

RMS

354

-3.0

0.0

-3.0

Have not fully tested the KX3 yet. It should be capable of HF digital in SSB and 2M AFSK packet.

> I will continue to try & replicate your results although I currently do not have access to either the FT-817 or

> IC-7000 but I have located an IC-7000 that Bryan can examine. Should have it to him by this Friday.

The inconvenient problem I run into is with the IC-7000 is that there is no adjustment for the AFSK input for HF. This has been noted for the SignaLink and other sound devices – It makes audio card output adjustment really touchy. Here are the two counter-effect problems I see:

  1. To get the tone significantly above the noise level, LO Drive and PCM needs to be higher than the 7000 script sets up.
  2. Setting the PTM values to PTM-P1 brings the PCM critical point for the noise problem up to just under -17dB from -24dB at PTM-P3.

As a result of the DRAWS IC-7000 settings being so very low, produced output levels are at the point where the “background noise” is as high as or higher than the tone for me. The combination of these results in a significant ALC reading on the 7000 in USB.

  1. The first instance results in distortion and IMD artifacts in the TX signal and an elevated and “pumping” ALC reading with all kinds of distortion artifacts.
  2. If the LO Drive and PCM levels are increased to get the tone up out of the noise, then the ALC stops pumping and quickly becomes pegged. The TX signal then has ALC clipping distortion artifacts.

Why both fldigi and wsjt-x now produce a significantly lower transmit level output from the DRAWS to the IC-7000 than the direct tone generation approach is a real mystery to me. The output to the FT-817 from those programs does not seem to differ significantly. This behavior originally began with Beta 6 for wsjt-x only then fldigi began acting this way with Beta 7.

Hope my answers help as you begin checking out the situation. I would be happy to turn this into a “Check this” type bullet list if you and Bryan want one.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

--