Re: #BETA7 performance report #ft-817 #beta7 #config #ic-7000

Jack Spitznagel

Hi Tim,

I have played with all of the suggestions you made and many others... I don’t run the 7000 on packet or in digi modes with the Mic connected... period. That is terrible practice with almost any rig.

Point one: Direwolf/Xastir works with the setting in the current Beta... closed issue. I have posted the settings that I have tried and the ones that work in packet in many posts. The ones in the alsamixer setup script are similar to ones I got to work for packet.

I have been struggling with this radio since the DRAWS board was shipped... before the first beta in late Nov/early December. You may not have been following the list since then... if so sorry for wasting your time with a recap of 20+ emails.

Using Betas up thru #5, I had the problem of *USB* overdrive in both the HF digital apps (fldigi and wsjt-x). With Beta #6, fldigi was still having the overdrive issue, but wsjt-x suddenly would not drive the transceiver to any appreciable power. Now in Beta #7, neither app will drive the rig to power. The alsamixer driver system was updated to add the PTM settings at Beta 6.

My control device, a SignaLink, consistently performs properly with the 7000 and the drive level can be adjusted for full power with no ALC. The 7000 is working properly.

When the drive was working, I was never able to find an adjustment point where the DRAWS could be adjusted to produce power with any significant reduction of ALC in SSB mode. I did try reducing Mic gain on the 7000 which did not seem to do anything. What was consistently observed at settings low enough to be in the 100mV range was that the DRAWS produced a noise floor high enough to prevent the level of the TX from dropping any farther. Essentially the tone level fell as noise level came up.

Because of the changes in symptoms with Beta 6 & 7, I am stymied... Basil has found a 7000 for Bryan to work with and I am going to give it a rest. Hopefully they will be able to work it out.

If you want any more background, follow the #ic7000 thread back to early December.

Jack, KD4IZ

On Jan 10, 2019, at 21:59, Tim Ciesluk via Groups.Io <cetpctech=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I don’t know if you have a way to measure the voltage coming out of DRAWS to compare Direwolf and Fldigi. I would suppose they would be the same. Have you tried adjusting the Mic gain? As odd as it may seem, the mic could be tied to the data port. I was reading the manual for the WMR P&P section on adjusting audio levels into the radio and it mentions this happens in some cases. Default gain is 50 and I saw that mine was set down to 30. Do you see changes with ALC when setting this very low? I don’t remember if you said what output level worked good for Direwolf.
Could you share your settings like power and in what position you placed RF gain/SQL knob?I would like to try to put DRAWS voltage to the minimum recommended level for pocket and use Mic gain control if I can get the chance. I’d also completely disconnect the microphone if this gain setting made any changes. Wish me luck.

Tim - KU1G

On Jan 9, 2019, at 8:23 PM, Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> wrote:

Thanks for sending that photo. I missed that in the packet section. So in my testing, that seems to be the case for packet on FM (APRS via direwolf) which has been working. Unfortunately when DRAWS TX signal has been at that level it was overdriving the rig in USB using fldigi or wsjt-x.
Jack
On Jan 9, 2019, at 20:34, Tim Ciesluk via Groups.Io <cetpctech=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Basil and Jack,

Let me preface by saying that I am very interested in the progress you are
making as I too have an IC-7000. I wish I had time to test but we just had a
newborn arrive in December keeping us very busy. You caught me by surprise
saying you’re using the ACC port with FLDigi. I remember some years ago
using Fldigi for HF with a West Mountain Plug&Play attached to the data port
on an IC-7000. The radio was basically default settings and in SSB mode. I
don’t recall anything special being necessary on the radio for settings.
Just to be sure the drive (pc sound card output) wasn’t too much for the
radio. This setup worked modes like JT65, PSK31, and Olivia. If I find any
time, I will try to find out more details about that setup. I want to attach
some details from the user manual regarding voltages for the data port and
describes a way to test the input from the TNC that may be useful.

I hope I’m adding to the conversation. Please let me know if I’m not. I’d
really like to see this succeed.

73,
Tim - KU1G

<image2.jpeg>