Re: #config Purpose of dtparam=audio=on #config

Daniel Sohn

Ed, Mtn West Digital and the greater DRAWS Community,

You have a GREAT attitude Ed - we’re all here to learn.

I’m way behind most of you re: Linux & RPi chops but I am focusing on DRAWS as the next leap in Amateur Emergency Communications  functionality.

At some point  in the future the 'packaging and documentation' for DRAWS will converge with my willingness to trigger the investment and commitment to make it work and become able to pass on the capability to others.

That is my way of saying "you all keep this up - it is hugely educational being able to follow everyone’s questions about DRAWS and the community’s responses".

Cheers, thanks & 73, …dan wl7coo
'Lurking To Learn'
ARRL SJV ASEC

On Jan 21, 2019, at 8:12 AM, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ <ewbloom@...> wrote:

Brian,

Thank you.  I do not consider it a rude interjection. I appreciate the opportunity to learn.  I got a little lost in understanding the OS side of things in LINIX and using the DRAWS as the sound card for the software.

73s, Ed, KD9FRQ

On 1/21/2019 8:59 AM, Brian Badger wrote:
Ed, (Inserting my opinion rudely)

An example would be the alert sounds played by YAAC when APRS messages are received or emergency beacons are detected, etc.  In my case I route that audio out to HDMI to be played out on the monitor speakers.
Brian N0KZ

On Jan 21, 2019, at 7:21 AM, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ <ewbloom@...> wrote:

Mike,

Thank you. So this for getting the System Sounds out to the speak so one can hear the OS sounds or program sounds that are sent to the OS for user interaction, correct?

73s, Ed, KD9FRQ

On 1/21/2019 8:08 AM, Mike - KB0FX wrote:
Ed,

The RPI has two native audio output sources on it. Those would be:

#1 3.5mm Headphone Jack.
#2) HDMI Port

You do not want to send standard auto prompt tones out the DRAWs TI audio chip set. So you would want to send them out a different audio interface line the headphone of HDMI jacks.

73

Mike
KB0FX

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 7:16 AM Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ <ewbloom@...> wrote:
So, what is the purpose of the subject statement in boot/config.txt ?

Is there a reason one would need to active that Pi Sound card from a
practical application stand point?

73s, Ed, KD9FRQ