Re: #wsjtx PTT on Icom 718 #wsjtx #hamlib #icom #flrig #kx3

Jonathan Magee

Hi All,
Just an update to let you know on how I am getting on.  I down loaded and installed a null modem emulator driver for linux (tty0tty). In WSJTX I set it to use RTS on a serial port for PTT and selected one of the null serial ports. I then wrote a python script that connects to the other end of the null modem emulator and monitors the CTS on the port and turns the relevant GPIO pin on and off. This gives me a working system but I will  need to tidy the python code up a bit to include extras like a timeout timer etc to make it safer to use. I am still thinking about modifying Ham Lib as at the moment I have to remember to run a couple of programmes to get the PTT working.

73 de Jonathan GI7KMC

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 at 21:12, Jonathan Magee <jmagee@...> wrote:
Hi John,
Unfortunately the IC718 doesn't have PTT via CAT...
I think will have a look at the source code for hamlib to see if I can come up with a generic way for it to do the GPIO keying when it gets the relevant command as I think that should be with in my comfort zone.  The other method I was wondering about, is would it be possible to build an app that minics VOX. The app would "listen" for audio on the relevant device and set and unset the GPIO pin. (For this I would need to do a lot more research on google :-)

Thanks
Jonathan GI7KMC

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 at 18:12, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
For applications like wsjtx, which haven't implemented native GPIO ptt keying, the best choice is CAT under hamlib, either directly in the application or through the FLRIG application.