Re: How do we setup dovecot and postfix to start at boot up?

Julie McGrew

Hi Basil,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I’m currently using claws mail and sending email via the winlink system using packet, pactor, and telnet.

Good to know the preferred process is systemd so I’ll wait and look forward to taking advantage of the scripts you are finishing up. No rush … just nice to know they will be coming in near future. :)

Many thanks,
julie
ac0wn

On Feb 22, 2019, at 2:45 PM, Basil Gunn <basil@pacabunga.com> wrote:

Hi Julie,

So for Debian/Raspbian, for better or for worse, the preferred method of
starting init processes is systemd and not the SYS V init.d
method. I am pretty close to being finished with some scripts that start
up paclink-unix dovecot & postfix so that you can use mutt, claws-mail
or rainloop as email clients for Winlink messaging. I have used this
setup for a number of years so I'm just cleaning up some of the scripts
I use to configure everything.

If you are just wanting to setup a local imap server on the RPi without
Winlink functionality I can help you out as that is my normal email
setup.

/Basil

Julie McGrew via Groups.Io <juliemcgrew=mac.com@groups.io> writes:

I see the scripts for dovecot and postfix in /etc/init.d

I have tried: "sudo update-rc.d dovecot defaults"

No joy .... after a reboot and using: "service --status-all" they are still not running. They are easy to start and stop manually, but I'd like them to start automatically at boot-up. Any assistance greatly appreciated. :)

73,
julie
ac0wn