Re: FT891, FT817, Audio Levels, I/O Fail , and Documentation #draws #ft817 #hfmodes

jgindc1@...

Using the DRAWS hat, I have had good success with AX25 packet using a Kenwood V71, for example, running XASTIR, or sending and receiving winlink messages using PAT.

However, when I substitute my FT-817 for the V71, using the same cables for data and rig control, the DRAWS DIN-6 connection appears to "short" the audio from the FT-817 to ground. Disconnected from DRAWS I see the FT-817 signal strength meter indicate the presence of a received signal and the audio is heard on the radio's loudspeaker. I am also using an oscilloscope to monitor the signal on pin 5 (1200 baud) from the FT-817.

When connected to the DRAWS DIN-6, left or right, the audio is not heard  in the loudspeaker (though the radio's signal strength meter still indicates the presence of a received signal), and the signal shown on the oscilloscope goes to zero.

Thinking that this might be a loading issue with the FT-817, I changed the in-line resistor values from 10k to 40k as confirmed via alsa-show:

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level       L:[0.00dB]      R:[0.00dB]
IN1             L:[Off]         R:[Off]
IN2             L:[40 kOhm]     R:[40 kOhm

No change.

I have the FT-817 mode in PKT and PKT RATE set to 1200baud.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions.

John KM7LJ

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 10:47 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

I've been staring at the FT-891 & 817 Yaesu manuals and discovered the
following for those 2 radios: (Warning I do not own either of these
radios)

You need to match your Yaeseu radio configuration settings with the ALSA
settings used to config DRAWS.

FT-891
------

If your radio is set for DATA (PSK) operation use ALSA settings IN2_L &
IN2_R. Turn OFF IN1_L & IN1_L

If your radio is set for RTTY (FSK) operation use ALSA settings IN1_L &
IN1_R. TURN OFF IN2_L & IN2_L

See pages page 62-66 of manual FT-891_Advance_Manual_ENG_1806-F.pdf
Yaesu mDin6 pin 4 is labeled SHIFT, this is Discout on other radios.
Also see page 25 of manual FT-891_OM_ENG_EH065H201_1611A-BO-2.pdf

FT-817/818
See page 41 FT-817ND_OM_ENG_E13771011.pdf

Different connections are used for 1200 & 9600 (AFOUT & DISCOUT)

ALSA settings
Use IN1_L IN1_R for 9600 baud (DISCOUT)
Use IN2_L IN2_R for 1200 baud or less (AFOUT)

Radio settings
Use Menu #40 (PKT RATE) to select DISCOUT or AFOUT
Also Menu #39 (PKT MIC) allows adjusting drive level.