Re: DRAWS + FT-891 + WSJT-X/FT8

August Johnson KG7BZ

You need to change the setting in the Radio that tells it to use the Data connector for transmit audio, instead of from the Microphone. You want MODE = DAT(a) instead of MODE = SSB.

August KG7BZ

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:28 PM Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
Input and output set to plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0.  Audio Channel set to left.  Pin 6 Removed.

Decode continues to work.

Transmit continues to NOT work.
Transmit continues to transmit ambient shack noise instead of anything from DRAWS.

What's next?

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 5:25 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 3.22.13 PM.png
This should be your audio setting in wsjtx

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 3:15 PM Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
Trying to get WSJT-X working for the next video. Details First, Questions at the end.

Radio: Yaesu FT-891
CAT control works over USB
Radio connected via LEFT Audio port (closest to GPS port)
RIGHT Audio port disabled via DRAWS Manager
I’ve ran `sudo bin/setalsa-ft817.sh`

Audio Input of `sysdefault:CARD=udrc/Mono` works fine and I’m decoding signals

I am unable to find an audio output setting that does anything.  Valid choices are:

default
sysdefault:card=alsa
sysdefault:card=udrc
hw:card=alsa,dev=0
plughw:card=alsa,dev=0
plughw:card=alsa,dev=1
plughw:card=udrc,dev=0

This radio works fine with a separate signalink and linux PC.

The FT-891 manuals do not specify what the “Peak to Peak Input Voltage” is, so I can not complete the calculations.

It appears that when the software triggers the PTT, that ambient shack noise is being transmitted instead of the audio/data stream from the DRAWS. (I can't whistle FT8 yet, but I'm getting close)

I have not pulled out pin 6 yet, the prev thread with Julian didn’t conclude if that was necessary or not.

Questions:
  1. What is the Peak to Peak Input Voltage of the FT-891
  2. What is the proper sound output device
  3. Any suggestions for what might be missing or what to try next?
73s,
Steve, KM9G