Re: DRAWS + FT-891 + WSJT-X/FT8

What do you mean by "Ambient Shack Noise"?

From this end it indicates that it is picking up from a microphone, which the DRAWS™ HAT does not have.  Check August's suggestion.  You could also see if you are getting the noise if the microphone is unplugged.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:28 PM Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
Input and output set to plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0.  Audio Channel set to left.  Pin 6 Removed.

Decode continues to work.

Transmit continues to NOT work.
Transmit continues to transmit ambient shack noise instead of anything from DRAWS.

What's next?

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 5:25 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 3.22.13 PM.png
This should be your audio setting in wsjtx

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 3:15 PM Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
Trying to get WSJT-X working for the next video. Details First, Questions at the end.

Radio: Yaesu FT-891
CAT control works over USB
Radio connected via LEFT Audio port (closest to GPS port)
RIGHT Audio port disabled via DRAWS Manager
I’ve ran `sudo bin/setalsa-ft817.sh`

Audio Input of `sysdefault:CARD=udrc/Mono` works fine and I’m decoding signals

I am unable to find an audio output setting that does anything.  Valid choices are:

default
sysdefault:card=alsa
sysdefault:card=udrc
hw:card=alsa,dev=0
plughw:card=alsa,dev=0
plughw:card=alsa,dev=1
plughw:card=udrc,dev=0

This radio works fine with a separate signalink and linux PC.

The FT-891 manuals do not specify what the “Peak to Peak Input Voltage” is, so I can not complete the calculations.

It appears that when the software triggers the PTT, that ambient shack noise is being transmitted instead of the audio/data stream from the DRAWS. (I can't whistle FT8 yet, but I'm getting close)

I have not pulled out pin 6 yet, the prev thread with Julian didn’t conclude if that was necessary or not.

Questions:
  1. What is the Peak to Peak Input Voltage of the FT-891
  2. What is the proper sound output device
  3. Any suggestions for what might be missing or what to try next?
73s,
Steve, KM9G