Re: DRAWS + FT-891 + WSJT-X/FT8

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Did some more testing and here are my results.  See below for an individual response to the very helpful suggestions that have come in so far.

I have not been able to get any messages out via FT8 on any setup today.  We are in the middle of a pretty big snow storm.  I am receiving fine, but can't get through the storm.

Something new I noticed is that on the linux+signalink setup I am hearing through the radio the FT8 transmit.  On DRAWS I hear nothing.  No changes to the radio in either situation.

August's Notes:

I have the Data In menu setting setup for REAR instead of MIC. (JC mentions this in a future email as well)

John Hays' Notes:

Ambient Shack Noise = Noises that I make in the shack, knocking on the workbench, speaking loud enough , etc.  This is coming from the handheld mic.  Turns out the mic has always been "hot" even on the old config.  Never noticed it as I never had a reason to before.

No shack noise when the mic is unplugged.

John Chablako's Notes:

Menu 08-09 is already set to REAR

I am using Input:

plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0
Output: plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0

But in left setting per John Hays

Julian's Notes:

Pin 6 is pulled.  Once I get this working, I'll have no way to verify if this was the fix or not.  I'm in the process of making up a cable for the Kenwood TM-281 to test out APRS from the Right MiniDIN port.

Thanks and looking forward to the next round of testing!

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:47 AM art upton via Groups.Io <artupton=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
<Quoting:Corky Searls --- Steve, pulling pin 6 is a requirement for any Yaesu radio as the radio treats this as an input and will do nothing.>

FYI  I got my FT-891 working months ago in the first shipments without pulling Pin 6. I sent my Alsa settings to others so they could get theirs working in the very early beta images.
Is there something now in the newer images that made the software work this pin that was not there before?

Seems I need to update my image and check and see.....