Re: Direwolf with GPSD #gpsd #direwolf

Brian Badger

Basil,

This is not how gpsd works at all.  Direwolf works with gpsd regardless of the underlying NMEA sentence format.  This is what a gpsd position looks like:

{"class":"TPV","device":"/dev/pts/1", "time":"2005-06-08T10:34:48.283Z","ept":0.005, "lat":46.498293369,"lon":7.567411672,"alt":1343.127, "eph":36.000,"epv":32.321, "track":10.3788,"speed":0.091,"climb":-0.085,"mode":3}
There is no GNGGA, there is no GPGGA.  No change is required.  Direwolf just works.
Brian N0KZ

On Apr 22, 2019, at 3:27 PM, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Regardless of the format (string, json, xml) all the GPS information
comes in sentences. If you look at the sentences in what ever format you
will find that the SkyTraq Venus 8 GPS module used on the DRAWS board
outputs NMEA-0183 V3.01 sentences. The way Tom Russo fixed Xastir he
parsed GN sentences as well as the old style GP sentences ie. GNGGA as
well as the older GPGGA sentences. Direwolf needs to do the same or you
can solve your problem in some other way.
/Basil

Brian Badger <brian@...> writes:

Direwolf uses the GPSD wire interface (which is JSON based) not NMEA.

Brian N0KZ
On Apr 22, 2019, at 2:29 PM, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

David,

Ways to read GPS sentences to verify:

gpsmon
cgps
gpspipe -r
gpspipe -R
gpspipe -w

# or kill gpsd
systemctl stop gpsd

# and
cat -v /dev/ttySC0

See answers embedded.

David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> writes:

From the Direwolf User Guide: Dire Wolf reads NMEA sentences ( $GPRMC
and $GPGGA ) from the receiver and parses them to extract position
information.

Whereas the SkyTraq model we have apparently does not support either
sentence. Please confirm this,

More than likely this is the case because the issue FIXED in Xastir was
this:
Unable to get GPS data from DRAWS hat [because Xastir does not support
GNGGA or GNRMC sentences] #53

I am rushing between teaching classes and I could be mistaken.

Nope you are not mistaken.

I just quickly looked to see if it could be the same problem as with
Xaster.http://www.skytraq.com.tw/datasheet/S1216V8_v0.9.pdf

What exactly do you want to do that you are trying to configure Direwolf
to do? Perhaps I can suggest another way.