Re: HF Rig Recommendations #hf #draws

Jack Spitznagel

Basil,

I know it is hard to keep track of all the early experiments folks have done with different radios. I have worked with the IC-7000 since the first BETA's and have sent you my setup and settings files multiple times. I have never solved the problems I see here with the IC-7000.

Before you ask: The IC-7000 works properly with other sound sources. I can connect a USB SignaLink to the same RPi as DRAWS is mounted on, connect the SLUSB to the IC-7000, adjust the output and input levels, and run an fldigi or wsjt-x QSO at 30 - 40 W with minimal ALC reading.

What I have done so far several times:
Each time I test the DRAWS hat, I start with your suggested settings from the GitHub files. The "setalsa-ic7000.sh" script sets them like the attached JPG and ALSA setting output files show. I reset to these levels each after making any unsuccessful test adjustments so I start back at the same point each time.

Please note: the settings work fine when the IC-7000 is in FM mode for packet or for testing a modulated carrier *on any band*. Xastir/Direwolf therefore works for me.

In USB or LSB mode *on any band*, DRAWS and the IC-7000 will not "play nicely" with each other. At the settings in the attached files, there is no detectable tone when I listen on another receiver (but there is a lot of digital hash noise). I can "force" the rig output up to about a watt by jacking up the DRAWS analog and digital gains to absurdly high levels (+12 Analog +20 Digital). At these levels I can hear a reasonable sounding tone on the second receiver which can be decoded... but it is very low power.

FLDIGI and WSJT-X are basically pretty unusable at these low power levels. I have attempted to use ALSAmixer and/or John's control panel to find the correct drive levels without success.

My conclusions: using DRAWS, fldigi and wsjt-x will not transmit at normal power levels in sideband on the IC-7000. The rig will transmit at normal power levels in FM with the DRAWS hat.

I have also tested my FT 817 which works in DIG mode with the appropriate settings using either DRAWS or the SignaLink - but that is not the "target radio" in my application. I need a 100W HF class field radio with 2M and 440...

Happy to look at this again methodically - just let me know what files to send you.

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo

-----Original Message-----
From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Basil Gunn
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2019 13:40
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [udrc] HF Rig Recommendations #draws #hf

Read ALSA settings for IC-7000
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/RADIO_APP_NOTES.md#ALSA-settings-for-IC-7000

Read ALSA Controls for setting levels
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/DRAWS_ALSA.md

Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@frawg.org> writes:

While I have not made a cable for the 7300 because I don’t need DRAWS
for it, I have a similar issue going with the IC-7000 (and tried with
the IC-7100 with same result).

Early Betas, using FLDIGI and WSJT-X would overdrive the IC-7000
(using high ALC reading as a metric). Then using ALSAmixer, reducing
the DRAWS output would drop the signal into device hash noise level
before the ALC came down to an acceptable level.

In recent Betas – iirc after Beta 8, the audio is so low that I can’t
turn it up high enough to drive the 7000 or 7100 up to power in HF.

Strangely enough with Xastir/Direwolf, the DRAWS provides sufficient
drive. Not exactly sure why this started happening, but glad to see
that I am not alone.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

<udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of KeithG [KG1MD]
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2019 12:10
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [udrc] HF Rig Recommendations #draws #hf

I recently tried my draws with accessory cable connected to the rear of my IC-7300. Unable to get useful transmit audio to the pi. Receive works fine. Transmit is barely audible with all controls maxes out here too.

On Apr 28, 2019, at 11:19 AM, John T Haworth <lyon1066@live.com <mailto:lyon1066@live.com> > wrote:

Thanks for the link. I am getting audio to the radio, however, I have all transmit gains maxed out:

<https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/draftattachment/2785326/0/d
raws-manager-screen>

I also have the mic-gain on the KX3 maxed-out at 80. What else can be tried?

<draws-manager-screen>

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Join udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.