Re: DRAWS and Allstar?

Anthony Leeser

Steve,

Hmmm...the thought of the DRAWS board providing Allstar capabilities wasn't thought of. I would just be satisfied if they can both run on one operating system/RPi.

There's so many unanswered questions that haven't yet been answered and to add  Allstar or any other experiments to DRAWS is too early, in my oppinion, until it's perfected. Kinda like putting the horse in front of the cart?

I've given up on the DRAWS. I don't know what I'm doing. Instructions are vague unless we're Linux geeks. Linux geek I'm not.

Tony
AG7GF 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 6/2/19 8:02 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [udrc] DRAWS and Allstar?

"Allstar without the attached OS" is just Asterisk with app_rpt. Asterisk runs on many OSes - Linux, BSD, Windows, etc... Just need to compile it with app_rpt.

Allstar takes it a step further, building a network on top of Asterisk and app_rpt. They provide a distribution of Debian with Asterisk and app_rpt pre compiled, with all the heavy lifting and configuration already done. You could do it all yourself, but why when you can save time with the distro?

The issue I see is not with the Allstar distribution, but rather getting DRAWS to show up as a compatible device for app_rpt. The URIx and other similar radio interface were specifically designed for Allstar, IRLP and the like.

A driver may be needed for use with Allstar. If this is something that a lot of people are interested in, I could take a stab at it. Just need to dedicate the time and a board. Though, I feel that the exercise may be a little in vain, using DRAWS for just going from a radio to Allstar is seriously limiting the power and capabilities of the board. A URIx would be easier, since it's the right tools for the job kind of thing. Plus, it's cheaper than a DRAWS board.

Steve KC1AWV

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 10:24 PM Anthony Leeser <tagtynee@...> wrote:

Hello Christopher 

That's a very good question. I've been working on that for sometime. I didn't want to tie up and dedicate a RPi solely for Allstar. I wanted to do HF digital as well. I've been working on this project for about a year. The introduction of DRAWS changed my entire build... ugh. Unless I overlooked a possible workaround, only thing I haven't tried was requesting to get the Allstar software without the attached operating system. If that's possible, I don't see why DRAWS and Allstar can't be friendly neighbors one one operating system.

Tony
AG7GF 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 6/2/19 5:02 PM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: [udrc] DRAWS and Allstar?

Has anyone gotten Allstar running with DRAWS (or UDRC)?    I saw the thread re: URI but my aim is to use DRAWS rather than URI.

-christopher.

73 de AI6KG

Join udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.