Re: DRAWS and Allstar?

Christopher AI6KG

The issue I see is not with the Allstar distribution, but rather getting DRAWS to show up as a compatible device for app_rpt.

Agreed.  This is essentially what I was asking.

-ch
73 de AI6KG

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 8:04 PM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
"Allstar without the attached OS" is just Asterisk with app_rpt. Asterisk runs on many OSes - Linux, BSD, Windows, etc... Just need to compile it with app_rpt.

Allstar takes it a step further, building a network on top of Asterisk and app_rpt. They provide a distribution of Debian with Asterisk and app_rpt pre compiled, with all the heavy lifting and configuration already done. You could do it all yourself, but why when you can save time with the distro?

The issue I see is not with the Allstar distribution, but rather getting DRAWS to show up as a compatible device for app_rpt. The URIx and other similar radio interface were specifically designed for Allstar, IRLP and the like.

A driver may be needed for use with Allstar. If this is something that a lot of people are interested in, I could take a stab at it. Just need to dedicate the time and a board. Though, I feel that the exercise may be a little in vain, using DRAWS for just going from a radio to Allstar is seriously limiting the power and capabilities of the board. A URIx would be easier, since it's the right tools for the job kind of thing. Plus, it's cheaper than a DRAWS board.

Steve KC1AWV

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 10:24 PM Anthony Leeser <tagtynee@...> wrote:

Hello Christopher

That's a very good question. I've been working on that for sometime. I didn't want to tie up and dedicate a RPi solely for Allstar. I wanted to do HF digital as well. I've been working on this project for about a year. The introduction of DRAWS changed my entire build... ugh. Unless I overlooked a possible workaround, only thing I haven't tried was requesting to get the Allstar software without the attached operating system. If that's possible, I don't see why DRAWS and Allstar can't be friendly neighbors one one operating system.

Tony
AG7GF