Re: Point to Point (P2P) email transfer #draws

Basil Gunn

For P2P mail using paclink-unix that I've tested with both airmail &
Winlink Express I use a call sign with no SSID. ie. on the listening
side I add an entry in /etc/ax25/ax25d.conf that looks like this:

#
[N7NIX VIA udr0]
NOCALL * * * * * * L
default * * * * * * 0 gunn /usr/local/bin/wl2kax25d wl2kax25d -c %U -a %d
#

To understand what the %args are type: man ax25d.conf

On transmit use: wl2kax25 -c callsign_without_an_SSID
wl2kax25 -c n7nix

In your email client address the Winlink message exactly as you would
when using a gateway. wl2kax25d mimics how a gateway interacts with
the client program.

It's pretty simple & if you leave your client side station powered on it
will always be listening for P2P connections to your call sign.

The only thing you should be mindful of is when composing messages to
send via an RMS Gateway you need to clear them from the outbox using
wl2kax25 before composing any messages that you want to send with P2P
and vice versa.

/Basil

Kevin K. - N7KJK <kkutzera@...> writes:

Hi there,
So after a lot of help from this Group.. (Thanks again Basil !) I have Winlink email setup. I'm learning that other than my email address ( N7KJK@... ) I'm not really using Winlink software. I have both Claws, and Rainloop working as the email client. I tune my radio to the proper frequency for a nearby gateway, then I call it with wl2kax25 -c {callsign of gateway}. There's a modem style handshake process then the gateway accepts my outbound message(s) to whomever, and then checks with Winlink.org on my behalf for anything addressed to me. Works like a charm. This is all dependent on the Gateway having an Internet connection. I'm laying this out very simply in hopes that someone really new is helped out by this brief run down.

So now after a bunch of searching here and on the Internet I'd like figure out Packet P2P.. The scenario is I compose an email to some other Winlink address , but instead of a gateway I know that person has their computer and radio on (and I know the frequency), and I'd like to send the email directly to that station. I'm trying to figure out how I would do this.
In Winlink Express there's a specific session option for "Packet P2P" I just need to emulate that. I'd also like to be the station waiting for inbound email.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Kevin / N7KJK