Re: Fans, Pi4, and the DRAWS case

JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...>

I am hoping the Pi 4 draws less than 20W.  I run completely on solar power and looking for a desktop replacement with DRAWS.  Fan noise can be mitigated.   I have a 2n1 laptop/tablet that draws about 25W but I'd much rather have the DRAWS and some other apps in one device.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019, 16:23 Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:
It's a personal perspective, but I don't want a fan on an appliance
like a DRAWS. Fans are noisy. They suck dust in and spray it all over
the board. They're non-static hardware that will inevitably fail.

I hope to build up my DRAWS units as (silent) appliances, and tack
them up and out of the way on a shelf, or wall, or ??? and access them
remotely.

The extra power (and the 2 GB or 4 GB of RAM) of the RPi4 is nice, and
I plan to have at least a couple, probably as standalone workstations,
but on the DRAWS, I haven't seen / heard / read anything that
indicates that the additional power of the RPi4 would be of any
benefit to a DRAWS unit above and beyond what the RPi3 does. Thus, the
RPi3 which doesn't need a fan, is preferable to the RPi4, which does
seem to need a fan, for use on DRAWS.

Thanks,

Steve

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 7:06 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote: