Re: Using the DRAWS hat with a Raspberry Pi 4 #draws #yaac #install #js8call #replacecompass

Jonathan Magee

Hi
I just wanted to let the group know that I have made good progress. I started from scratch with a clean buster image and using my Pi3B (to rule out any issues specific to my PI4). With just the out of the box image I added in the lines
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1
to config.txt and rebooted.

With just those lines the the DRAWS sound card was not detected. I then added in the line dtdebug=1 at the start of config.txt, rebooted and looked at the debug output. I saw that it was trying to load the device tree for HAT but it failed with the error
dterror: can't find symbol 'cprman'
and then it unloaded HAT

I then added in the line
dtoverlay=
to the start of my config.txt and rebooted. This time the sound card was detected. I then tried the sd card in my Pi4 and the DRAWS sound card was detected ok.
I still have to set up the rest of the software but I am now heading in the right direction.

It looks like the automatic loading of the drive tree based on the data in the DRAWS eeprom was failing and that had a knock on effect that stopped the  line dtovwerlay=draws,alsaname=udrc from working.
I also had a look at the config.txt on the image I am actively using with DRAWS for wsjtx and I notice that it also has the line
dtoverlay=
in it.

73 de Jonathan GI7KMC

And make sure the lines are added at the end of /boot/config.txt in that order.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 7:36 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Mitch Winkle <ab4mw@...> writes:

> Second that notion. There is a lot of what I consider unwanted fluff
> in this image since I don't care about packet radio. I would really
> like to have a clean image with only the necessary drivers and such and
> then I could install my own programs, and select the HF programs that I
> want to use. So perhaps a "minimal" image that gets the DRAWS
> functioning properly on the RPi??

Use the latest Raspbian image that supports Debian buster and add these
lines in /boot/config.txt

dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1

Kingston, WA