Re: Using the DRAWS hat with a Raspberry Pi 4 #draws #yaac #install #js8call #replacecompass

Mike Watkins <mike.watkins@...>

Hi Jonathan, all.

I'm puzzled by your "dtoverlay=" observation as that certainly was not required on either my Pi3 or Pi4 running the same Buster image. I wonder if some of the confusion has to do with specifics of the OS you have; what updates it has received. When I first downloaded Buster it was before the DRAWS/udrc device tree files had hit; I had to perform an update before it would work.

As of today (sometime in the last month actually), that's not an issue if one downloads a Buster image from the official source: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

In short, to get DRAWS/udrc recognized, all I did was:

1. Download and burn a new image - I've used both Raspbian Buster "Lite" as well as the full desktop image - same results.
2. While doing the initial setup of the Pi to create an empty ssh file in "boot", I also add to config.txt the famous:
# DRAWS related:
# this adds the udrc driver to the device tree
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
# https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/overclocking.md
force_turbo=1

and, to save having to change ALSA devices when running alsamixer:
# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
# DRAWS: May as well disable if you don't need this
# dtparam=audio=on

And boot. We're done.
aplay -l
card 0: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []
  Subdevices: 1 / 1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The "July 10" label on Lite on the download page might not be accurate:
uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.19.57-v7l+ #1244 SMP Thu Jul 4 18:48:07 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

But it indeed is working on a Pi 3 and Pi 4. I'd recommend doing a system update in any case.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade

After reboot, on the Pi 4:
uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.19.66-v7l+ #1253 SMP Thu Aug 15 12:02:08 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

Move the same SD card to the Pi 3:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ aplay -l
card 0: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.19.66+ #1253 Thu Aug 15 11:37:30 BST 2019 armv6l GNU/Linux

This is what we should expect.

For hams new to all this I wrote up a short guide that only goes as far as the above; configuring applications without the support of the myriad of scripts will be daunting for some. I intend to write some follow up guides for the apps I'm using (mostly packet related at this point).

Cheers all
Mike

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 11:58 PM Jonathan Magee <jmagee@...> wrote:
Hi
I just wanted to let the group know that I have made good progress. I started from scratch with a clean buster image and using my Pi3B (to rule out any issues specific to my PI4). With just the out of the box image I added in the lines
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1
to config.txt and rebooted.

With just those lines the the DRAWS sound card was not detected. I then added in the line dtdebug=1 at the start of config.txt, rebooted and looked at the debug output. I saw that it was trying to load the device tree for HAT but it failed with the error
dterror: can't find symbol 'cprman'
and then it unloaded HAT

I then added in the line
dtoverlay=
to the start of my config.txt and rebooted. This time the sound card was detected. I then tried the sd card in my Pi4 and the DRAWS sound card was detected ok.
I still have to set up the rest of the software but I am now heading in the right direction.

It looks like the automatic loading of the drive tree based on the data in the DRAWS eeprom was failing and that had a knock on effect that stopped the  line dtovwerlay=draws,alsaname=udrc from working.
I also had a look at the config.txt on the image I am actively using with DRAWS for wsjtx and I notice that it also has the line
dtoverlay=
in it.

73 de Jonathan GI7KMC

And make sure the lines are added at the end of /boot/config.txt in that order.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 7:36 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Mitch Winkle <ab4mw@...> writes:

> Second that notion. There is a lot of what I consider unwanted fluff
> in this image since I don't care about packet radio. I would really
> like to have a clean image with only the necessary drivers and such and
> then I could install my own programs, and select the HF programs that I
> want to use. So perhaps a "minimal" image that gets the DRAWS
> functioning properly on the RPi??

Use the latest Raspbian image that supports Debian buster and add these
lines in /boot/config.txt

dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1

Kingston, WA