minimum install to get the DRAWS gps working?

I just received my DRAWS and at this point in time, I am only interested in getting the GPS working. (I'm developing a new ThumbDV app for D-Star Routing and linking and want to use the GPS to update the user and station positions to aprs.) I would rather not use Compass until I full understand what my program needs to use the DRAWS gps.

I found the wiki page on "Setup GPSD for Time and Position" and am wondering about the statement "Ensure that the device tree and driver have been installed". How do I do that with resorting to Compass? I installed gpsd etc, and I see /dev/ttySC0 and /tty/pps on my system and systemctl reports that gpsd is running, but gpsmon is showing all zeros.

Thanks!