Re: DRAWS and Buster distro

Basil Gunn

Not sure this list is still alive.
Yes it's alive or at least I read all the posts.

Due to issues with partially broken libraries in Compass image I decided
to burn Buster distro on a RPi 3B with DRAWS HAT.

The system is doing well but DRAWS is not recognized by default as a
sound card.
The driver for the DRAWS hat, specifically the TI TLV320aic3204 codec
driver and the overlays for the UDRC/DRAWS hats are now in the main line
Linux kernel. If you are using a Raspbian image with kernel version
4.19.66-v7+ (uname -r) or newer then you have the current driver for the
UDRC/DRAWS HATS. To enable the driver you need to add the following
lines to the bottom of file /boot/config.txt

For DRAWS hat:

dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1

For UDRC & UDRC II hats you need to flush dtoverlays before loading
the draws overlay:

dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1

After a reboot to verify the driver has in fact been loaded run:
aplay -l
and look for this line:

card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []

The dtoverlay flush is required because the older HATS (udrc & udrc II)
have an overlay in the HAT eeprom and Linux has changed the names of
some variables used by these overlays causing them not to work. Flushing
the overlays (dtoverlay=) removes the older non functioning dtoverlay
loaded from the eeprom allowing the new overlay loaded from the file
system to be functional.

Now I would like to know how to install AX.25 and APRS stuff ?
I am currently testing a new buster image with the same functionality as
previous images and will upload in the next day or 2.

Is any N7NIX script available ?
The same scripts that you previously used to configure
direwolf/ax.25/packet programs will work with the new image.

Bernard, F6BVP
http://f6bvp.org
http://radiotelescope-lavillette.fr