image update failure

John Spoonhower

I am attempting to update my aprs system to the current buster-based image nwdr14.img. the old image was beta 10 I believe. The system uses a UDRC-II HAT. I am looking for a very plain end point; an APRS Igate with some custom software that automatically broadcasts NWS warning packets when an official weather warming is issued. I have had the custom software running on the old beta image.
I have followed the online guidance for installing and verifying  the image file. All seems to proceed normally. The only exception is that showudrc.sh alerts that the gpsd has failed.
(There is no gps on my UDRC HAT).
The problem is that although all seems normal otherwise, there are no packets received as evidenced by either "listen -at" or "tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log".
It is very clear that the attached radio is receiving aprs packets.
There is likely something obvious I am missing ...?
73,
John, NX2i