Re: image update failure

Basil Gunn

First, beacmin.sh was meant to be a minimum beacon command and doesn't
have any arguments. That means it only outputs to the first port (udr0)
which will not work on the UDRC II unless you edit the AX25PORT variable
at the top of the script. The btest.sh script is similar to beacmin.sh
but provides command line arguments to select some things. This is the
script you should use when testing a UDRC II

/btest.sh -h
Usage: btest.sh [-P <port>][-s <num>][-p][-m][-v][-h]
-P <portname> | --portname <portname> eg. udr0
-s <num> | --sid <num> set sid in callsign, number 0-15
-p | --position send a position beacon
-m | --message send a message beacon (default)
-v | --verbose display verbose messages
-h | --help display this message

Second, the APRS symbol is two characters. The first is the symbol table
identifier and the second is the symbol code from that table. If you
look at the beacon_msg variable in either beacmin.sh or btest.sh you
will see that the first character is between ${latdir} & ${lon} and the
second character is between ${londir} & $timestamp.

For more information look at the APRS manual around page 24.
http://www.aprs.org/doc/APRS101.PDF

/Basil

John Spoonhower <jpspoonhower@...> writes:

Thanks. I will give this a try.
On a somewhat different topic...I notice in beacmin.sh that in the comments
aprs symbols are listed. I do not see sending a symbol implemented in this
script. Is this fairly straightforward to add ?

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 11:17 AM Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:

I used a new image (nwdr14) with a UDRC II and it worked fine. I will
release that image today. The only thing I changed from the scripts was
to select discriminator out using the alsa commands. You can do it from
the alsamixer gui as well.

sset 'IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor' '10 kOhm'
sset 'IN1_R to Right Mixer Positive Resistor' '10 kOhm'

Since you have a working configuration why not save it to a file &
compare it with the configuration you are using with the new image.
ie. save /boot/config.txt, alsa-show, ax25-status -d

You could try a transmit test to see what that gives you
cd
cd n7nix/debug
./btest.sh -P udr1 -p

Remember that on a UDRC II the mDin6 connector is port 1 not port 0.

I notice that you have manually edited /boot/config.txt. I did not
manually edit any files for my UDRC II test.

/Basil

John Spoonhower <jpspoonhower@...> writes:

Basil,
73, John

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 7:42 PM Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:

The problem is that although all seems normal otherwise, there are
no
packets received as evidenced by either "listen -at" or "tail -f
/var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log".
Did you set your alsa settings the same as what you had on your
working
BETA10 image?

yes.
It is very clear that the attached radio is receiving aprs packets.
There is likely something obvious I am missing ...?
I think that your ALSA audio routing is incorrect.
If you route through ALSA IN1 then you are using DISCOUT or
discriminator audio. If you route through ALSA IN2 then you are using
AFOUT or
compensated audio (preemphasis/deemphasis). Verify how your radio is
configured. On my Kenwood if I select DATSPD 9600 I am selecting
DISCOUT. This works well for both 1200 & 9600 baud packet.
This is not clear to me. I have tested the RPI3/UDRC-II controller to 2
different Yaesu radios both of which work fine with the beta 10 version.

Could you please return the console output of:

# Verify driver loaded properly
aplay -l
aplay -l
card 0: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi
tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

# Verify configured for udrc & not draws
tail /boot/config.txt
tail /boot/config.txt
[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

# Flush all overlays, ie. deprecated overlays loaded from eeprom
dtoverlay=
# enable udrc/draws if no eeprom
dtoverlay=udrc

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)