Re: Download Issues

Basil Gunn

Stuart Longland VK4MSL <@VK4MSL> writes:

On 1/10/19 11:03 pm, Mitch Winkle wrote:
I saw something similar when downloading it yesterday. On Win10 it was
abysmally slow. With the same connection on Linux it was it's normally
speedy self. The reader is left to his own conclusions.
I've seen it crawl under Linux too.
I test the down load about once a month and have never had a problem
(slow download) yet. I have a fiber connection.

I think I'd agree with Basil's assessment that "it does depend on how
many other connections are in progress". I'm not sure what Internet
link services the NWDR server whether it is in a data centre or is on a
SOHO Internet link with limited capacity.
I use rackspace (https://www.rackspace.com/). The server lives in San
Antonio, TX.

Now that standard Raspbian supports the UDRC/DRAWS, I think things
should improve since NWDR's servers only have to carry a small handful
of packages and not a whopping great big SD card image.
If you want a whopping great big SD card image then use the "W3DJS
Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image v2.0". It's 17GB and has a lot stuff.
https://groups.io/g/RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio/topic/w3djs_raspberry_pi_ham_radio/39671852?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,39671852
Note that they solved their slow download problem by using bitTorrent.

Our image is much smaller @ 2GB. List of NWDR Installed Programs:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/IMAGE_README.md

Coding up a boot-strap script which can be run on stock Raspbian images
to set everything up would not be a difficult job.
I use a (unsupported) script to build and compress the published image. There is even
some documentation on how to run it. Search for "how the NWDR images are
created" in the markdown files in the docs directory.

The script runs for about 5 to 6 hours, IF there are no problems. It
usually takes 1 1/2 to 2 days to verify the image. I would rather do
other things than spin up boot images so looking forward to seeing your
boot-strap script.