Re: Incompatibility between #fldigi and #direwolf ? #direwolf #fldigi

Bernard Pidoux

Hi Basil,

I appreciate your precisions concerning DRAWS use with nwdr14 distro.

However there is a complete discrepancy between what you suggest and what is explained in the

"Getting Started Guide"
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started

In the above guide is written to execute script _appconfig.sh core in Initial Configuration.
On the contrary you wrote

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/IMAGE_README.md)
come pre-installed on the nwdr14.img. Running the install scripts on
this image is not necessary and most likely will break things.

You can see a log of what is already installed here:
cat /var/log/udr_install.log
However, direwolf is not installed in nwdr14 image.
Currently you can switch between vhf/uhf packet & HF programs by
starting & stopping ax25 which also starts & stops direwolf and a number
of other daemons used by packet. ie mheardd

cd ~/bin
# Become root
sudo su
./ax25-start
# or
./ax25-stop
Immediately after first initial distro configuration ax25-status shows that AX.25 pplications are not RUNNING and NOT ENABLED.

Executing ./ax25-start fails with error code due to direwolf port not found.  There are a few reasons for this. First /etc/direwolf.conf  is not configured for DRAWS device is commented together with PTT GPIO is not set to 12 (default left DRAWS plug).

#ADEVICE plughw:1,0

#MYCALL N0NONE

#PTT GPIO 25

If /etc/direwolf.conf is configured for DRAWS before running ./ax25-start things go much better.

In order to check if AX.25 is now correctly set up I started YAAC application and listening to APRS frequency.

No stations could be decoded.

I had to execute setalsa-udrc-din6.sh script.

At this step, to be able to get a functioning APRS application I found it is abolutely necessary to switch Raspberry Pi power OFF and ON to reboot. Otherwise, direwolf is not getting DRAWS audio.

After these mandatory successive procedures, measure-deviate script was found to be working correctly and beacon application could also be activated.

I will continue further in order to find the correct order of scripts execution steps toward ax0 and ax1 configurations for other AX.25 applications.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp