Re: Split Channel

Basil Gunn

Jim,
First, thanks for trying out split-channels!

Some back ground.
Anna made a repo & got split-channels working around last April. I
picked it up last November & made some install scripts to configure
things a little differently.

If you follow the README.md file from
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/split-channels
you will end up with the left mDin6 connector controlling an HF radio &
the right a VHF/UHF radio. What that does is make the right connector
device udr0 when it used to be udr1.

If you use the split_install.sh script from n7nix/splitchan it will keep
the left mDin6 connector for VHF/UHF which means it remains device udr0
and the right connector will be used by pulse audio for HF.

So November turned into December and I spent less time doing NW Digital
Radio stuff as the holidays started sucking up more of my time. This is
just to rationalize my excuse for what works & what doesn't.

The install script (split_install.sh) works OK.
The status script (split_status.sh) mainly used for debugging works OK.
The toggle script has never been tested but seemed like a good idea at
the time.

As it happened the split channel stuff worked well enough right away
that I started playing more with HF modes with packet happening on the
other channel. Seemed cool and I stopped script testing and did more
Hammy things.

I have not tried what you are describing which I think is:

Install split chan
- which has ax.25 running on udr0, left mDin6 & HF on right mDin6

Run ax25-start when split chan is running
- shouldn't have to do this and needs testing
- pretty sure this will mess with the split chan config
- you can run split_status.sh to confirm

I need to finish testing split_toggle.sh which will go from split chan
to both chans either config'ed for ax.25/direwolf or both ready for HF.

Will get back to you in a bit as I finish testing with a clean image.

/Basil n7nix

Anyways, I got a chance to try it as the prospect intrigued me. To be
able to have local packet traffic and be able to do HF, in my mind,
primarily JS8 with one RPi seems the dream. So I tried running your
scripts which seemed to work excellent. Easy to turn on and off, works
as expected in my books, almost.
I've verified, when running the
ax25-start, without the split-channel, I'm decoding local APRS traffic
in dire wolf. My volume is a little lower than I'd like, so I do need
to experiment with a different 2m rig, but the point is that I do
decode packets. Then when I enable the split channel and then
re-enable ax25-start and start listening for APRS traffic, I decode
none. I'm using the left mini-din for both split and non-split APRS
work.

I confess, pulse audio is very new to me. I think I roughly understand
it, but not definitively, and configuring it within linux is not in my
tools yet.

Any thoughts? I'm going to try a different 2m rig to see if that makes
a difference. I have verified that the right din works as expected.
Thanks for this!

Jim
VA7SHG/VE7TGZ
73