Re: NWDR15 image release announcement

Steve, N9VW

JP,
If ever there was a teachable moment, this is it..!!! The underlying theme with the DRAWS product is to put the Amateur back into Amateur Radio.

You have already done most of the 'hard' part of coding, describing what it is to do. If you are just a little bit Linux literate, which I am going to presume you are to some degree since you are playing with this package. Scripts are really nothing magic nor difficult. There are more on-line references and tutorials to get you running with a BASH script in short order. It is easy stuff (why do you think we use it?) that gets the job done.

You can start with simple stuff and just build on top of that. I will toss a few hints your way to aid in your quest. You most likely will want to use a "CASE" statement to select your command line options and something like tar or gzip to collect all of the .conf files into a single file for ease of handling. I would make a "cp" of the files into a work directory first, the script can do that with ease.

Give it a whirl, learn something new for 2020 and have a world of fun in the process. You will be amazed at how simple it all really is...;>

Happy Trails,
Steve VanWambeck, N9VW

On 1/23/2020 10:58 PM, J P Watters via Groups.Io wrote:
Basil or other gifted scripting author,

This is just a thought

If there was a first release of the new year that was going to SIGNIFICANTLY be a game changer, this is it. !!!!

Missing from your scripting is that Holy Grail Script that when run archives the configuration of the of all the installed APPS and the image configuration.

I only wish that I was a script coder that could write a script that would do that archive the configurations, AND also RESTORE the configuration from previously archived configurations.
alas, I am not such a gifed coder and at the mercy of those who are.
ie.
buconfig -l
This simply lists that configuration date and times that configurations were archived.
buconfig
when run without arguments, stores archived versions of the configuration files
buconfig -a -s /home/notmypi/
when run with the -a "archives the current configuration settings" and -s specifies the directory location that the archived configurations are stored.
"normally" the archived configuration files are stored in /home/pi/archivedconfigs
buconfig -r -d 2020-01-24-00:00
when run with the -r it restores the most recently saved configuration files
or when the -d specifies the date or date time, it restores the most recently saved configuration files after the specified date or datetime.
-s -d and other program flags can be used together to maximize the effectiveness of the configuration archive and restoration.
when run with flag "buconfig -a -d 2019-12-31" would archive the current configuration files stored as archived on 2019-12-31-2359
as to represent the last configuration for the year 2019.